Is it just more or does any one else feel this way?

When you have to live with some one, like in-laws, and they gripe at you to do stuff like rising dishes out right away so they are easier to clean but don't do it themselves? (Especially when you do the dishes most all the time). Or want the stove top kept spotless, but they don't put any effort into keeping it clean? (like trying to keep stuff from boiling or splattering over, and yes I realize you can't always, or don't get everything off of it if they do the dinner dishes). And yes, I realize it's their house they can do what ever they want, but it frustrates me that they want me to do things a certain way, but they don't even do it that way themselves!! If they did do it like they wanted me to do it, I wouldn't have a problem (except for when I put the dishes in the drainer, they do it one way, I do it another and they don't like my way, but if I put them away, what does it matter?)

Sarasmoonflower

Asked by Sarasmoonflower at 11:47 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I think they sound as if they are frustrated with having someone else in their home. :( They are to the point that they see every single flaw but don't notice thier own or the ones of anyone else that doesn't bother them by being there. I am not saying this to be mean either. I say this because people tend to do this in other aspects of the world but don't realize it. Like when you want to break up with someone and you begin to realize all of their flaws.... it makes the upcoming seperation easier.

I would look out because they may be hinting that they want you guys to move.

If not then they are just tightwads! lol And they need to learn to do things the way they want them done!

Good luck!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:54 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I know they want us to move out, but they knew when they agreed to let us move in that it was going to be a little while before we could move out! I'm getting to where I just want to stay in my own section of the house (the bedroom) and only come out when I need something, like to do the dishes or get something to drink. But I didn't start that until we had a really bad weekend!
    Sarasmoonflower

Comment by Sarasmoonflower (original poster) at 12:06 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• IMO if you are living in someone else's house, no matter how old you are, you should follow their rules. If they are kind enough to let you live there and want the dishes stacked a certain way, or stove cleaned or whatever.... you should just do it without complaint and without being asked. It is their house and if you don't like it, you should move out and do things however you want in your own house.

Not being tough on you... but I have been both the house guest and host to house guests. This is one of those situations where money is power and whomever foots the bill gets final say.

Like you said, its not that big of deal to put the dishes in a certain way... SO JUST DO IT THEIR WAY. Bide your time, stay on good terms, don't get caught up in little things like dishes when there are bigger things like 'can you afford to move out?' Get along so you don't get kicked out and all will be happier for it.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 4:42 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• i was in a situation like that a few years ago with my ex. i always got the feeling that they didn't us around, even though I was invited to live in their house. i felt like i was walking on egg shells alot. but i understood it was their house, and i did whatever they wanted me too for the most part. i picked my battles, and took it one day at a time. until something hit me on the head and made me realize i dont have to do this, and i dont have to take shit from my ex, so i left. i would never go back to a living situation like that again. i hope it gets better for you!!
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 10:22 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• good luck
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 1:56 AM on Sep. 22, 2010