I don't understand the weekend leniance with children?

My kids eat, sleep, play, etc the same during the week as they do on the weekends. They are 5 (almost, first week of October), 3 and 6 months old.

They go to bed at 8pm no matter what day of the week it is. The only difference in the routine is that I wake them up at 6:30 every morning for school and on the weekends they wake themselves up at 7am.

They still do everything else the same minus going to school.

Why do people think it is a good idea to change up the routine of a small child because it is the weekend, then turn around and complain that they don't wake up easily or stick to their schedule, etc?

Small children need discipline and routines... that's how they learn best. They need specific amounts of sleep and need to eat properly.

We are in a downward spiral in our world now. Especially America. :(

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 11:47 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• We always stick to our schedule unless we are out of town doing something super exciting. At home bedtime is at 8 pm.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:54 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I don't think kids staying up 1/2 hour past their bedtime on Saturday has any correlation with the downturn in America
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:52 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Sometimes I let my girls (5 & 3) stay up later on the weekends because we have sleepovers for them a lot! We play games and play outside and make snacks.. its just something special we do.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:49 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• During the week my kids go down at 8pm and are not allowed to play video games.
    That does change on the weekends. On Friday & Saturday they are allowed to stay up until 10pm and play video games. My kids are 6,9,13.
    If hubby and I notice that the schedule in any way affects their ability to wake up on Monday then we'll change it accordingly. So far so good.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:56 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My son had a routine from birth on...however, once school started and he "HAD" to be up early and had a rigid schedule..I felt having a freer weekend time to relax and unwind was fine. He is still ok with that.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:56 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Eh.. sometimes my kids stay up til midnight and watch movies with us.. I don't really mind.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:58 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Because its a treat for them. And not every kid has a hard time adjusting. Sunday is always back to sleep at bedtime. So come Monday morning everyone is ready to go. Friday and Saturdays are go to bed whenever nights. It allows for more time with our DD and she feels more included and special. As long as it does not interfear with her behavior and/or the weeks schedule its fine.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:59 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Seriously? When there are so many things wrong in the world, THIS is what you choose to get upset over? You would really hate my parenting if this is want gets you upset!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:00 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My kids stay up until midnight on the weekends sometimes. That's just the way we roll!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:07 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My kid can't really stay up all that late, but when she does I don't mind, she still gets up at the butt crack on dawn, so it hurts me a lot more than it does her. LOL (She's 2 1/2)
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 12:17 PM on Sep. 21, 2010