How do you deal with people trying to steal your joy from you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Hello, I think the best way is to set personal boundaries for yourself and do not allow other people's attitudes and negativity effect you by taking on their own problems. Now we are to help eachother but there's something that we do without thinking and that is owning the other person's negativity like is our own.

By personally distancing youself through thought and emotion, you can interact with people in a way that doesn't leave you sorrowful and feeling worse than when you first started. There's a saying that you become what you hang around and that is true when you do not have personal boundaries in place. , you just tell yourself that you cannot 'solve' these issues, you can listen, but you are not responsible for how others feel. You only are responsible by the way you treat others and react. If you stay positive, and remain sympathetic without letting them get to you, your joy will stay with you.
    shannonGilmour

Answer by shannonGilmour at 12:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• No one can steal your joy unless you let them. Distance yourself, or if you can't do that just block your mind from them.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:50 AM on Sep. 21, 2010

• The joy belongs to you.... the only way it can be taken is if you let them do it. For me joy does not come from people but from the Lord.
    Nehemiah 8:10
    Then he said to them, "Go, eat of the fat, drink of the sweet, and send portions to him who has nothing prepared; for this day is holy to our Lord. Do not be grieved, for the joy of the LORD is your strength."

Another word for joy is ecstasy and bliss! Its outrageous joy that just overflows and bubbles over from within! Its the most awesome place to be and no one can steal it from you !
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:01 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Me personally.

No one can steal my personal joy. No one can take it away frome me... The only person that can harm/damage/negate (whatever word one would like to use) my personal joy is me. I and I alone control my emotions, and joy is an emotion. Other people may have things to say, other people may do things in order to try and bring me down (whether that be on purpose or not).. However. Only I have the power to decide whether or not they actually mess with my joy or not.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 12:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• i simply say, 'get thee behind me, satan.'..in other words, "hit the road, jack..and don'tcha come back no more, no more, no more, no more!"

:)))
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:52 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• read this book, explains nicely how some people steal anothers energy and some people are energy givers. ever wonder why after talking to some people it leaves you with a good feeling then others leave your persense and you filled drained

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:00 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My joy is to be found in Christ alone! Nothing can take away joy that is founded in that. My response/reaction to other people's actions - even emotional response is my choice. No one can steal it from me - I can only choose to respond differently.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:12 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Ignore them.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:03 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I dont let them and if they keep trying I take them out of my life.

Only you can allow others to take from you...be it joy or positivity,etc. I wont allow that, I will build a wall or ignore them and kick them out of my life, whatever it takes to take back my control and joy,etc.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:08 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• You have to find your own stride, your own strength, your confidence, and more depending on your beliefs and know from inside and out that you are doing the right thing for yourself and family. This is all about your need to rise above. Once you begin to feel calm about things, you are the better person, and you have the power, and you are stronger. It is a good free feeling! This has been my personal experience.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 12:23 PM on Sep. 21, 2010