Does anyone own a really god carpet cleaner, or do most people rent them when they need them?

I rent my carpet cleaner at my grocery store and have always been happy, but it seems that I never do it enough. I try to clean them 2 times a year. If I had one at home I could just use whenever I think I would do it more often. It just is a hassle to lug this big machine around, that I only do it when I REALLY have to, like before Christmas and then one time in between. Anybody buy one and use it more than that, maybe it wouldn't be worth it to buy one, not really sure. Let me know. Thanks.

cloverlover24

Asked by cloverlover24 at 11:54 AM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Home & Garden

• we have one... it sits next to the gazelle machine that is our coat rack... it sometimes becomes a coat rack

If you catch my drift...

Unless you REALLY believe you will use it more than twice a year, I'm not sure it's the best investment in this economy.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 12:09 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• We had my mom's on loan indefinatley while my DD was little b/c she had reflux so bad that she puked everywhere all the time. I cleaned my carpets about every 2 weeks while she was about 6 mos to 18 mos old and was on the move. We got it under control and only cleaned them every 3-4 mos. It is totally worth the investment. I would wait until black friday to get one when everything goes on sale. That is when my mom got hers a few years ago and it was a fantastic deal.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:10 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• You should get a Kirby. Works as a vacumm, that you will use a LOT and a carpet cleaner when you need it! I also use it on furniature, cars, etc. etc.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 12:15 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• We bought a Bissell deep cleaner for about 200 bucks..it works great.
    youngmm

Answer by youngmm at 12:36 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I have a Hoover that was a little over $200 I have definatly gotten my money out of it already. I clean the carpets every few months and with 2 kids and a cat it is handy for accidents too. we lived in an apartment when I bought it and now we live in a house where I have 7 rooms with carpet...needless to say I use it a lot. The model I have works very well and also has upholstry attatchments so I can clean my furniture and steps. The only thing that I did not like about mine was that you had to mix the solution into the water and if you didnt use it all it was wasted but I recently saw a newer model that made the tank and solution separate so you just dump the unused water.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 1:01 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I have a Bissell that I spent about $149.00 on and I love it and use it quite frequently Worth every penny to me then I don't have to go to town and get it when I need one. I think I'm on about carpet shampooer #4 in 30 years
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 5:13 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• We bought a Rug Doctor and we use it every 2 months or so.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 10:24 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• We have one and use it about 4 times/year because we have pets.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 1:55 AM on Sep. 22, 2010