Rice ceral at night

I have been giving my son some ceral in his before bed bottle. The problem is that he gets so tired while eating he only gets through half of his bottle before he is so out cold I can't get him to wake up and eat more. I tried to spoon feed it to him but had the same problem. How do you put ceral into your bedtime feeding while still keeping it mellow for bed?

JackJacksMomma

Asked by JackJacksMomma at 6:37 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I agree with mammamia, my Dr advised cereal IN THE BOTTLE at 2 months. William never slept more than 2 hours at a time (if we were lucky) the first night I gave cereal he slept for 12 hours! There has been a couple nights he crashed before cereal and it was right back to waking every 2 hours! I have a infafeeded (made by nuby) the nipple is designed for cereal. I make a 6oz formula bottle, than I put 1 tablespoon of cereal in a bowl and use 4 tablespoons of the already made formula, I put that in his infafeeded, he eats all of it PLUS the rest of (about 4 ozs) his formula! i also was fed cereal from a very young age (mom guessed about a month old) GUESS WHAT I am alive and doing great, as is the rest of you all who's moms gave cereal to help you sleep
    Med109

Answer by Med109 at 11:41 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• HOW MUCH DO YOU PUT IN THE BOTTLE ? I ONLY USED A TEASPOON OR SO HOW OLD IS HE ?
    Anonymous

• how much are you putting? what's the age of you child? cereal in the bottle shouldn't make the milk thick. your not really suppose to put cereal in the bottle, but some people do it to comfort the baby. most of the time it disturbed the GI tract so that's why they say don't give it to them if they're under 6 months of age. just reduced the amount of cereal and try not to give it to him right before bed, try 2 or 3 hours before. that way he's full and comfortable
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 7:06 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• For one, your baby is too young at 2 months of cereal at all. But why are you giving it? If you are trying to make him sleep through the night, it doesn't usually work. A baby will sleep through the night when he is ready.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:19 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• He's too young for cereal...AND cereal in a bottle can choke a baby and leads to eatting less formula which is more important than solids. If he can't use a spoon he shouldn't be fed it!
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 7:20 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• i agree with tabi cat.
    the other issue is that feeding baby cereal before his or her tummy is ready to digest it can cause additional tummy problems that can keep baby from sleeping. not to mention the tummy problems they can encounter later in life.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 8:19 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• This is one of the many reasons why giving cereal at such a young age is a bad idea. Baby needs the nutrition from formula (I am assuming) and by adding cereal you are taking away that much needed nutrition. Usually babies fall so soundly asleep after that because their body has to put all of it's energy into trying to process that junk through a still developing gut.  I will never understand why everyone is in such a rush to give a child food. It is completely unnecessary and harmful in so many ways. If baby is hungry up his feedings don't fill him up with useless junk that can cause lifelong problems!

Anonymous

• here we go..this is what I say. I fed my baby cereal in her bottle just don't make it too thick. She loved it as do most babies. It's what our parents did and we are here to talk about it!!!
    If baby is falling asleep, then you did good! That's what you want. Means he is full.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 10:22 PM on Oct. 19, 2008