Why is this an issue?

Why do some Christians have such an issue with the fact that there are others who don't want to be "saved"? I know some will say it's because they care, but where does respect play into this? Perhaps my religion is as bit real to me as yours is to you. Is it fair to belittle my faith because it does not involve a father-like deity? And by saying "yeah, but your faith is wrong and if you don't give you life to Jesus your going to hell, but I only want to help" not disrespecting my faith. I respect that you believe, why can't you respect that I don't believe the same as you do, and I came upon my faith honestly.

mandaday

Asked by mandaday at 6:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I personally do believe in God and in Jesus Christ, and I know that God did say to spread the good news. But, you have to respect that if a person believes differently, then they believe differently. I have found that arguing about God is not right either. If other people want to believe in something else and that IS what they believe, then it is their right,and responsiblity. I have learned a hard lesson here, some believe in God, and some don't. If they have a believe then that is their responsibility. Also, it is their right, God even said that some would and some wouldn't believe in him. Also, God said not to judge, we can't judge them for what they believe in. We ARE NOT GOD, we DO NOT JUDGE, it isn't our right.
    Freda01

Answer by Freda01 at 7:03 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Why do some non-Christians have such an issue with the fact that there are others who want them to know and understand a truth that is different than theirs? I know some will say it's because they don't care, but where does respect play into this? My religion tells me to go and proclaim God's word to others and people get mad that I follow my religion and it's teachings.

Perhaps my religion is as bit real to me as yours is to them. Is it fair to belittle my faith because it involves a father-like being who wants me to share my faith with others? And saying "well that's fine to believe what you want but don't talk to me about it even if that's what your God told you to do" not disrespecting my faith? If you really respected my faith you wouldn't insist that I have to practice it the way you want me to practice it instead of the way my God told me to practice it.
    Anonymous

• So God really wants you to go tell all others that what's really in their heart is wrong because it's different? That really doesn't make a good argument for following his faith.
    The reason some non-Christians have an issue with it is that to them it is not truth, or fact. It is belief and opinion. We are each entitled to our own. The general belief system does not bother me, the arrogance of its followers does. There is nothing more personal than faith. It cannot be in black and white, right or wrong.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 7:10 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Answered at 6:56 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 by: Anonymous
    So I suppose you want to hear the truth of Judism too then also? Since you think we should all hear your truth you should hear all other religions.

I don't have to go on and on about G-d in my life, he is there, I know he's there, he know's he's there, seems to me you need to keep talking to try to convinve yourself that G-d hasn't left you...
    dhhaj

Answer by dhhaj at 7:12 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• in the Christian faith, we're told to 'go and tell all the world'; some refer to this as 'the great commission' to Christ's followers, as told to them by Christ before he ascended into Heaven. that being said, we're also told (scripturally) to 'shake the dust off our feet' if our 'good news' is turned down. we can continue to pray for the unsaved, in hopes that God will make a way of turning for that person...but scripturally, if the invitation is unaccepted, we're to walk away. its hard for us as Christians to just walk away when the person is someone we love or care about, for we want to be with our loved ones after this life. some people take their 'great commission' to extremes and don't know when to quit..often times, this persistence is noted as badgering, and inturn, actually turns people off. hope that answers some of your question.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:12 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Anonymous, maybe you're missing the point just a little. I think the OP was talking more about people who come across as judgmental or rude. For a person to talk to others about their beliefs is one thing, but for that person to persistently do so without invitation or to come across in an aggressive way toward those who politely refuse to talk about it, is considered badgering.

Even though I practice a Pagan spirituality I've always been interested in learning about other faiths and even enjoy having a friendly, debate/discussion about various spiritual beliefs. I firmly believe that we all should have the freedom to follow whichever spiritual path truly resonates with us. But if someone crosses the line and becomes judgemental toward my beliefs or demeans me because of my beliefs I have to firmly, but respectfully draw the line.

Feridust

Answer by Feridust at 7:15 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• In every religion or faith, yoru going to find those who are ratical, pushy, rude, and disrespectful. You can be offended by it, or learn to turn the other cheek. Me, I welcome it. I am secure enough in my faith that I could care less what other say. My relationship between me and my God is that, and no ones judgment will change that.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 7:38 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I respect all religions and find them interesting. You won't ever find me belittling anyone.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 9:13 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I fully agree with hairnazi as Christian's we are doing the great commission. Sadly but true there are Christians who do not show the love of Christ and choose to argue, be disrespectful, and hurt those who do not agree with them. Just remember we're not all that way.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 10:10 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• if it's disprespecting your faith, so be it. I don't want to hear it. I suppose not listening to you lecture on the virtues of John McCain is "not respecting" your political position, eh?
    Anonymous