Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

I've been told i'm possibly going through early menopause at 31, this has devestated me and my husband. I have started on clomid after begging consultant for it, does anyone have any advice on whether there is a test that can be done to determine whether i am in early menopause or not?

Answer Question

Asked by linter at 12:13 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

Level 2 (6 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • I think you should ditch your OBGYN and go directly to a Reproductive Specialist. They will have all your answers and not skirt the issue like a regular OBGYN who are mostly not knowledgeable in reproductive problems. A regular OBGYN may string you along with no results and it may end up to be too late, like mine tried to do. This is what I did and was finally able to have a healthy child at 39. Do it ASAP. Good luck!


    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:20 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

  • Did you get a second opinion or even a third opinion ? I"m so sorry :(

    Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:23 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

  • Thankyou for your advice. it's a very complicated subject this infertility stuff, husband and i are trying to get our heads around all the terminology, and working out what our next step is.We only got married in May and to be told such devastating news on only our 2nd visit to the consultant was not good. Keeping our fingers crossed though and not giving up before we've even started.

    Comment by linter (original poster) at 12:27 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

  • Before you started on clomid your OB should have run some blood tests to see if your hormones are in the normal fertile range or closer to menopausal. If the results don't fall within the normal range all hope is not lost. If your provider didn't run any blood tests before prescribing clomid I would definitely look for a different provider, and if the tests weren't conclusive I would ask for another test. I was told by both my OB and my RE on 3 different occasions that I might be experiencing premature ovarian failuer (early menopause), and I understand how devastating that diagnosis is. It turned out that I was actually having other hormone issues that couldn't be pinpointed, and I did have to take injectable fertility meds to ovulate. It wasn't fun or cheap, but I did get pregnant. GL!


    Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:34 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

  • I want to second what ILovemyPaulie said - if you don't already have a fertility specialist, that should be your next step. An OB could just be wasting your time and money. Also, if your insurance covers anything you don't want to max that out with the OB and then be left without coverage when you move on to the RE. With my insurance a lot was covered as long as they were still running tests to figure out what was wrong, but the second I had a diagnosis ("unexplained infertility" in my case), my insurance was a lot less generous.


    Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:46 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.