Is it true that Christians don't believe in Evolution?

amydh

Asked by amydh at 6:49 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• bxbsmommy -- if you take Genesis as science, why did God use mud to make a human, he could have made us out of nothing? It's not that God needed to use evolution it's that He choose to use evolution.   Think about it this way.  A single cell starts in the earth.  Maybe God 'spit' in the dirt to create that cell.  Then over a very long period of time that cell grows, develops, changes until eventually it takes the form of  human body (this is the evolutionary process).  All this growth and change is designed and overseen by God.  God exists outside of time -- past, present, future are all the same to him so the passage of time is no great thing to him.  Then God breaths into that human body He created from the mud and gives it an immortal soul and thus creating Adam and Eve.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 9:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Yep. For me...it's hard for me to even think that I evolved from a monkey,lol!
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 6:58 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• No that's not correct. Christians can and do believe in evolution.

Evolutionary Creationism

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 7:00 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I guess for this question the correct thing to say would be some Christians do while others don't.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 7:03 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Some do some don't. I was always taught that the evolutionary theroy was wrong and to not listen to my teachers.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 7:19 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• It depends on the denomination and the individual.

Plenty of Christians believe in evolution...and plenty of non-Christians don't.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 7:25 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Some do, some don't. I persoallydon't beleive in "evolution", but I do beleive in adaptation. Which while is assumed to be the same thing, is not. Evolution indicates a genecit mutation and advancment, adaptation indicates changing of physical characteristics to suit the surrounding enviorment.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 7:32 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Some do, some don't. Personally, I do. Click the link on eringobrough's answer.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 8:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I believe the Bible. It teaches creation plain enough for a child to understand. That, and think about it... wouldn't you rather believe that God, who is bigger than everything, cared enough to lovingly hand craft us to be different from every other creature on the planet than to believe that you somehow, by chance, came from some goo that evolved into this that and the other, and just happened to turn into an ape and then turn into a person? I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I am proud to be made by God, loved by God, supported by God, sustained by God, and genuinely cared for by God himself.
    icook

Answer by icook at 9:04 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• icook - accepting evolution doesn't mean one rejects creationism or the bible. See the link I gave above. God does care enough for us to craft us to be different from every other creature on earth -- it's just that some Christians understand He used evolution as the tool to do that.

I understand and accept the scientific theory of evolution and I too am proud to be made by God, loved by God, supported by God, sustained by god and genuinely cared by God Himself.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 9:16 PM on Oct. 19, 2008