How do I politely tell my 6 year old that he asks too many questions in school.

His teach only allows one question per child, so that she can spend the right amount of time on each subject/topic.

jshimmy

Asked by jshimmy at 12:18 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think that teacher is stupid.. If a child has a question..they are obviously interested. They shouldn't be limited to what they want to learn.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:20 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I owuld let the teacher handle it unless she brought it up to you. She can tell him to let someone else have a turn.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:21 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Well how many is he asking? How often? That's really sad to me, I mean, they should be all on the subject she's teaching right?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:21 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I kind of agree with previous poster, but the teacher isn't stupid. If it s large class and all the kids want to ask questions, it can be hard to complete the lesson. I would say that she should realize when to stop taking questions or to not let the kids ask questions till after she's done talking.
    As for your question, I'd either tell him that it is polite to wait till after the teacher is finished speaking to ask questions or that asking too many questions is stopping him from learning more so he should ask less and listen more so that he can learn more.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 12:23 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• well if those are the 'rules' then he should be following them so just tell him that part of listening is following the rules...BUT asking questions is how we learn so definitly dont discourage him from asking questions just tell him that during that specific time in class, he is to only ask one question...then later encourage him to ask more questions or ask YOU the additional questions when he gets home...but he needs to know that asking questions is a GOOD thing, just needs to be the appropriate time...SOAP BOX / TANGENT>>>>> it is ssooooo sad that our teachers cant take a few min and answer questions...QUESTIONS ARE AN IMPORTANT PART OF LIFE!!! ITS HOW WE LEARN!! CHILDREN AND ADULTS ALIKE!! ITS BECAUSE THEY HAVE TOO MANY STUDENTS AND ARE UNDERPAID. OUR EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM IS SCREWED UP.
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 12:24 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• That is a stupid rule!!!

With that being said it is a rule. Maybe you can tell him to wait until the other kids ask their questions and some of his might be answered.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 12:27 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• lesson in taking turns and also lesson in delayed gratification

if that is the teachers rule then maybe she has a reason

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:30 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Well if he is like my 6 yr old dd I can sympathize. But I think one is a bit strict. Maybe like 3. My dd rarely even listens to the answer so it can be rather annoying with repeating the same one.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:31 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• that is a stupid rule...i think as long as the question is of topic then there shouldnt be a limit.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:32 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• is it a personal rule or a school wide rule? If its a personal rule (I'm in school to be a teacher) then you need to go complain to the principal that your childs teacher is sacrificing his education for her lack of better time management. If a child has so many questions she is poor at conveying her topics and has problems with time management. There is nothing right about not taking time to help a child learn when IT IS YOUR JOB to teach. No. Never tell him to stop asking questions. He is curious and he wants to know and learn and that is a beautiful wonderful thing.
    At the most, if this is a school wide rule, try answering his questions yourself. Have him keep a notebook of questions and spend time together discovering the answers.
    Good luck!!!
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 12:36 PM on Sep. 21, 2010