Are my girls too young?

I have started working in a daycare facility and I am working from 5-10. My girls are 10 and almost 14 do you think they are old enough to stay home by themselves or would you take them with you?

mommaspride

Asked by mommaspride at 12:29 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think your girls would be fine. My concern is what they would try while you arent at home. No one watching them on the internet, no one seeing who they have over..Can you have a neighbor check in on them? Can they stay home 1 time a week and the other 2 days come with you? What if they start to cover for eachother and the older girl has a boyfriend over? that would be my concern before a stranger would be.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 1:47 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• For me that would depend on a lot of things. Like how mature they were, the area I lived in, if they had access to an adult quickly if they needed someone. Honestly speaking, I am kind of a worrier, so if it were me, I would probably take them with me.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:33 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• The 14 year old is not. But they 10 year old may be. But the 14 year old is old enough to watch her.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 12:35 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• it all depends on the kids. can they handle an emergency? is there someone around if they need an adult?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:30 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• It depends on if you think they are mature enough too. The 14 year old yes, but your younger one?? If you need to have her being watched by the 14 year old, will she listen to her? Or do YOU think she can be on her own till you get home. Thats the huge question..
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 12:31 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• i would take them with me if possible, but I don't like to leave even my 14 year old home alone after dark.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:58 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• There has to be a 3rd option.
    5-10 is a HORRIBLE time to leave girls that age alone. They NEED parents to go over homework, share a meal with, talk to, laugh with. They maybe old enough to handle it on an occation... but Mon-Fri I would consider neglect. I can tell you first hand there are things I NEVER would have thought to try had my mother been home to spend time with me. But since she was working and left me on my own... I got board.... I got daring.... I tried all sorts of things and had pleanty of time to clean up... and was never caught.

There HAS to be a 3rd option!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Take them with u. They r too young to be alone that late at night.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:30 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I think together, yes. As long as you live in an okay area and you think they are mature enough.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 12:30 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I think 10 pm is a little late to be home alone if it is on week nights. Do they stay up until 10? My dd is only 8 so I dont know what time kids that age go to bed. I think they are deffinately old enough to spend some time home alone but I'm not sure i'm loving those hours.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:32 PM on Sep. 21, 2010