Obama's Aunt: Is this a perfect example of a broken system that needs to be reformed?

..."For two years Onyango said she lived in a homeless shelter, before she was assigned public housing despite thousands of legal residents also awaiting assistance. "I didn't take any advantage of the system. The system took advantage of me."

"I didn't ask for it; they gave it to me. Ask your system. I didn't create it or vote for it. Go and ask your system," she said unapologetically.

And she's right. The system provided her assistance despite her status as an illegal immigrant. "
~~~~~
The system took advantage of her? Shouldn't LEGAL citizens have preferential treatment to taxpayer funded entitlement programs?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 12:30 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• "some are not paying their share in taxes to help fix the system. They (the greedy) are part of the problem!! "

Just because a person is wealthy does not mean they are greedy. I don't blame anyone, rich, middle class, or poor for wanting to CHOOSE how their money is spent. Yes, EVERYONE shold pay their FAIR share in taxes, but this country's income stream should be dependent upon the minorty, wealthy c lass of America. There are plenty of million- and billionaires who give to charity upon charity. Once upon a time that was how the poor and needy in this country were taken care of, not social entitlement programs.

As to the OP's question, yes it's a very broken system. No one who is here in this country illegaly should receive any type benefits. Her immigrations status should have been checked, and she should have been deported. Or Perhaps this is PBO's way of helping her out. Who knows...
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 4:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• It should go to only legal citizens.

What I do not understand is why didn't Obama help her years ago?
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:33 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• So, she's thanking God for her theft.

You can put it on any deity you want, evil is still evil. God didn't give her that many, she stole it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:40 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• LOL. I suppose our system held a gun to her head and made her accept all of those benefits too, right?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:34 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Obama is a liberal he has the money to help his family, but he wants the Government to do it LOL
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:38 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• He can't win....or even break even, with these cranky conservatives. Politics and Current Events is just one big Bash the President session.I bet they post and have a cigarette after. Hehe.

What he should have done was ship her home. He might have gotten a little gold star from me if he had (and I'd have sucked on my little peach flavored ecig). As it is, he only gets mud for 1)ignoring a crime that he took an oath to stand against, 2)ignoring a family member in need, 3)yet again tossing a family member under a bus.

What part of 'the man is scum' escapes so many otherwise intelligent people?!?
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:24 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Well, yes. Actually...I do pray for money. By asking for wisdom with it. Bash all you want, there is nothing wrong with praying for money or depending on God to meet your financial needs. Money does come from heaven, it's not coming from mankind right now nor is it coming from a good economy..so what other reason do I have for a gain over the last 18 months of over 60% on the investments I made in late '08 and early 09? Or for a job I never looked for? Or a promotion for DH before his probationary period was even up? Wisdom and money....pray for it and see what happens.
    In regards to your question, yes the system is broken and that's why I plan on never depending on it.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:37 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Obama likes to refer to his family members when He is speaking of them in a positive light or it makes for good stumping. As far as physically recognizing them he wouldn't help them as far as he could throw them. If he has no use for family, he wants no part of them. What benefit would this Aunt be to him? None. Therefor she doesn't exist.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:40 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• So you're upset that Obama didn't provide housing for someone he knew was in the country illeagally??? I'd hate to see what you would say if he HAD adided a family member that was in the here illegally.....
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:44 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• How can I put this delicately?? Oh nevermind...I think the lady is a perfect example of a LEECH. I also think she should be sent back to wherever she came from and her nephew run out of town on a rail. That is what I think.

Come to think of it, I know of a leech or 2 here on cafemom.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:29 PM on Sep. 21, 2010