What do you think of this quote?

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. " -- Helen Keller

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:42 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Not sure... wow that puts a new spin on things. Interesting watching how experiences in life dramatically change your view of the world though. Wow Helen Keller said that... interesting...
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 12:45 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I've never been a fan of sheltering children - from ANYTHING... My mother did her best to shelter us from way to much - I didn't understand it then, I don't understand it now... So coming from her, this just reinforces my convictions!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:50 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Simply put ...don't be afraid to try!!!! Security comes from within, knowing yourself well enough, both limitations and expectations. I have always tried to teach my kids to be true to who they are and go wherever that may take them. Sheltering them doesn't make them secure. It is more apt to cause greater insecurity because they won't know how to succeed nor how to handle failure. "Can't never tried"!
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 1:27 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I admire Helen Keller but I think the quote falls short, when stripped of context, anyway. There is a difference between being naively overcautious and being smart & aware.

Case in point (and a true story) the mom of one of my DD's friends is way overboard with the caution falling into "get her to a therapist for help." She has picked her daughter up from school because she simply couldn't stand to be away from her that long. She said "What if someone won't talk to her? What if she can't find a friend on the playground... I was so upset just thinking about it." Ok, way to far in the bubble world. On the other hand, the friend who told her 8 year old she wasn't walking the mile home alone on the major road between their house and school was, IMO, being smart with her parameters. It wasn't avoiding danger. It was being smart about age realistic limitations.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:49 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• (HATE character limits.) I think the "everyone is a winner" world of competition we've entered is a disservice to our kids. Nothing is wrong with failing or losing. It's only wrong to not try. Got it. on the other hand, not letting my son see a movie I don't consider him mature enough to handle, isn't hurting him long term. It's setting age appropriate boundaries. When he's emotionally mature enough to handle the film, he can watch it. Until then, he can stick with the PG films he's been enjoying. Teaching my child not to talk to go off with strangers isn't naively avoiding danger. It's being smart. Explaining that sometimes people aren't nice to children and can hurt them is being honest and age appropriate. Telling them private body parts and how no one should be touching them there is ok. Telling my 6yo about rape and molestation is beyond her comprehension today. There's sheltering and there's being age appropriate.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:58 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I love it. I do however think she is speaking in emotional terms more than the physical. Sure you can't wrap your kids in bubble wrap but I doubt she meant to say go play in traffic.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:16 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I think that it is true. If you insulate yourself or others from anything that will possibly harm you (or them) you are going to miss out on a lot of experiences and interesting things in life.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:52 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• LOVE IT!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:04 AM on Sep. 23, 2010