If your child threw a fit EVERY time you take them to the store would you...

leave them home with your DH or try to discipline them so they'll learn how to behave in a store? I'm asking this because the little girl i babysit she's 2 1/2 ALWAYS throws fits when i have to run errands..its so embarrassing! I try to discipline her but since she's so use to acting this way, it seems pointless! I mentioned it to her mom and she said she hates taking her anywhere and always leaves her home with her DH lol Which is probably why she acts this way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• If her mom is never going to teach her, then, the least you can do it try to teach her yourself. She will NEVER learn if she is never exposed. Leaving her at home is just ridiculous...my kid never threw a fit while out because I told him before we ever left the house and once we got to the store that he is to stay by me and we have stuff to do and he is not to ask for anything because we aren't buying it. And he better act right the whole time we are out.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• if my dd acted up in public every time i would still take her. she has to learn how to act.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:49 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I agree, she needs to learn it's not ok to act like that and to be patient. Wow that sucks, I'm sorry mama!! If the mom isn't, are you encouraging good behavior with a reward after errands are done? Maybe it would help if you promise a trip to the park afterwards or a special treat, with mom's permission of course.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 12:51 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• take her, she has to learn . if they keep her at home everytime she's just going to keep acting up! yes its stressful and embarrassing but its something that needs to be done. my oldest was like that and i kept taking her places and after awhile she grew out of it
    Kayge

Answer by Kayge at 12:52 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• When she starts throwing a fit, stop what you are doing and throw one right along with her. My kids got so embarrassed that they quit, and wouldn't do it anymore. And when I say I was throwing a fit, I was screaming and "crying" right along with them, as well as kicking my arms and legs and just making a total spectacle of myself. But they stopped.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 1:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• my girls tried that. we were standing in line and they wanted some snacks they just saw. i told them no. they both started to act up and i flicked them both in the ears and told them to knock it off. a man in front of us went ahead and bought the snacks, i told him they weren't aloud to have them. they know how to act in store and they will not be rewarded for acting bad. i keep reminding them, bad kids don't get stuff, only good ones do. they ain't angels but their trying.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 1:17 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• my kids used to threw a fit every time we were at a store,so fineally we had them stay at home,n now their much older n now if they act up we make them go back out to the car,n were right behind them.
    flmontgomery

Answer by flmontgomery at 12:50 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• She will in time grow out of this. But I am not sure if there is really anything you can do to get her to stop if you are only the daycare lady or babysitter. This is something that the parents need to really work with her on. You might have to do your errands later if you can't take her when she is going to act like this.
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 12:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• If the child is never taken out and left at home like the mom says she does, she probably doesnt know how to act correctly while out in public and I assume she acts out at home, but public probably more extreme because its a different setting and probably a little scary for the little one.
    Heres my story: My daughter was about that age, and threw the biggest fit she had ever had while out in public one time....Usually if she acts out I take her to a semi empty lane, or in the back corner or somewhere and get her to calm down, sometimes resulting in a bribe lol....but this one time, I had to leave! I left my cart up front said sorry to a cashier as I was leaving about my cart being partly full and left, her kicking and screaming the whole time that she would behave...but I took her home sent her to her room to calm down and let SO take care of her, and left again to go shopping, she was sooo sorry when I came home
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 12:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• That's a tough one. I wonder how long the temper tantrum stage lasts.....
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:57 PM on Sep. 21, 2010