This isn't a question I'm just setting something straight...

I know there are a lot of things on here regarding teenage mothers. I know the stereotypes from being one myself, but I do have to say it is true for a lot of them, but certainly not all. I myself am 18 with a 4 year old. I did have a child very early but I'm not the type to have my mom watch her for me 100% of the time so I can go out and have fun. Yes, sometimes I do, but that's only a few times a year. She does watch her for me during the day but that's because she wants to, but I'm also going to college so I don't have to rely on her forever and so I can possibly pay her back for everything she's done for me. Another thing people are led to believe about us is that we are promiscuous, but I've had sex a total of one time and it just so happens I got pregnant.

I'm not trying to force people into not believing the stereotypes but I hope it'll make some people think twice before doing so. Thanks :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well said :)
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 12:51 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Good post---good luck , keep going to college, and be happy!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:53 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Great Post!
    MrsJStearns

Answer by MrsJStearns at 12:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• the thing is you dont have to explain yourself to anyone! noone has the right to judge you. just be proud of yourself and do what is best for your family.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:56 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• This kind of ruins the anonymous thing but thanks guys.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• yes good post because if it wasnt gertie would be all over you and telling you how uneducated you were.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:58 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Oh sweetheart I am proud of you. I never had negative feelings like that toward a young mother, maybe a little concern because I know how hard it can be... I first had sex at 15 (with my now husband! I was his first too!) and we were lucky. We started living together at 21 and didn't marry until 27, and finally after much trouble we had our little girl at 31. Now a new one on the way, due in Feb. A baby is hard to care for at any age.
    No shame in having mom watch her every once in awhile, you're young! Just because you have a baby doesn't mean you have to COMPLETELY throw your life away!! Be grateful you have a loving, understanding mother who can help you. Enjoy the times out with your friends, as few as they may be. You're only a teen once.
    You obviously have good intentions and are on the right track going to college and trying to make a good life for you and your child. Props, mama. :)
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 12:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Dude, why can't I bump this? :\
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 1:01 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• :) I had my son at 21, but I look 15 and got the same stereotype attached to me and I wasn't even a teenager!
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 1:08 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• i hate to say it, but it's not just "the teens" that do that! i know alot of mothers who is in their late twenties that try to get their family to look after their kids while they go out. i'm glad you posted it.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 1:08 PM on Sep. 21, 2010