my son is SUCH a whiner!

he's 3, and whines about EVERYTHING! if 2yr dd plays with something, he freaks out cuz HE wants it. if he doesn't want to do somthing, he's "scared" of whatever it is. like this morning, he needed to take a bath. now, he LOVES bath time. but this morning, he didn't want to. so he freaked out and said he was "scared" of the bath. i made him do it anyway, he REALLY needed one. he screamed throughout the whole thing. it's getting really old. when he's at school, i have dd and i enjoy the no whining, screaming time. dd doesn't do it unless she falls and actually hurts herself. sometimes not even then. she's a tough one.

and it doesn't help that she is taking advantage of ds. she intentionally takes her brothers' stuff in front of him, cuz she knows he'll scream, and whine...and then she laughs. i'm like OMG i'm going to go crazy! how the heck do i toughen him up? dh thinks it's a stage, has your kids went through it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son is turning 3 in NOV and whines and whines - My husband asked him to use his big boy voice and no more whines and I looked at him and thought Oh no, he truely wasn't whining, I am scared this is becoming his actual tone ugh.. grinds on my nerves SO bad.. its all the time about everything.. ignoring it doesnt help with him - he will ensure you hear him to the point he gets so upset in his fits that he can't breathe- such an extreme personality - gets old - I hear ya mommy.. I have to take it day to day because "its just a phase" doesn't keep me sane enough
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:16 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• my dd went through it. eventually i told her if she couldnt use her big girl voice i wasnt going to listen to her. she got it pretty quick.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:06 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Sounds like you need to ensure you are punishing her as well when she instigates.

As far as he goes, some kids are just like that. With my oldest if she started whining and fussing I would tell her she needs to calm down because this isn't an issue to cry over. If she had a REAL reason (injury or such) then mommy wouldn't mind. But when she cries for no reason or says things "scare" her (mine did it too) then I don't know when she is telling the truth and mommy will not know when to help her. I also tell her that crying like that isn't going to get her anywhere in this world with mommy because it doesn't phase me. I WILL NOT change what I have said because of crocodile tears.

Rationality with my kids seems to do the trick most of the time.

Of course they ARE kids so it isn't a 100% thing, lol.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:07 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• oh yeah i def punish dd when she does the instigating. depending on what it is, she gets a time out or a spanking. sometimes she just likes to grab, hit, or pinch him out of nowhere. he never hit until she started doing that to him. he would tell me, then just started hitting her back eventually. it's so frustrating.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:12 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My son is a whiner also....I agree with the asking him to use his big boy voice comment. However, I still haven't found a solution myself.
    mommy2_twins

Answer by mommy2_twins at 1:43 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• my 4yr old almost 5 whines about everything except when he is with his grandparents or at school, BUT with me or his dad it never stops no matter what i do. he has an older sister and younger sister they don't whine as much as he dose if he can't have something it is a WAR i usually win but it takes a lot of work to win by the time i am done i want a nap because it is so much work, he test me on everything i hope it is just a stage.
    jannie1025

Answer by jannie1025 at 1:46 PM on Sep. 21, 2010