Does Cindy McCain think that PTSD is a result of incompetence?

In an interview with Marie Claire magazine, Cindy McCain was asked about whether her husband suffered any aftereffects from his time in Vietnam. Her response:

Marie Claire: You met your husband after his POW days. To what extent is that still with you - or is it a part of history?

Cindy McCain: My husband will be the first one to tell you that that’s in the past. Certainly it’s a part of who he is, but he doesn’t dwell on it. It’s not part of a daily experience that we experience or anything like that. But it has shaped him. It has made him the leader that he is.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I think she was trying to portrayed her husband as not having any problems in the process insulted veterans. I know many veterans who won't vote for mccain. but she just seem clueless. there is an article in the times about all her inconsistencies.

ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 7:34 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Marie Claire: But no cold sweats in the middle of the night?

Cindy McCain: Oh, no, no, no, no, no. My husband, he’d be the first one to tell you that he was trained to do what he was doing. The guys who had the trouble were the 18-year-olds who were drafted. He was trained, he went to the Naval Academy, he was a trained United States naval officer, and so he knew what he was doing.

Anonymous

• Is Cindy McCain insinuating that there is some kind of inverse correlation between PTSD and competence, and her husband doesn’t have it since he was trained at the Naval Academy, unlike those lowly grunts? Or that draftees experienced more combat stress because they hadn’t volunteered for military service like her valiant husband? Both? The answer has to be yes - there’s no other way to read this.

We have troops coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan with cold sweats in the middle of the night, and much worse, in thousands upon thousands. None of them are “18-year-olds who were drafted”. The suffering runs the gamut from infantrymen to Elite Special Forces.

Anonymous

• It’s worth asking John McCain if he agrees with his wife. It would explain an awful lot of his reprehensible record on veterans issues. Indeed, McCain’s leading of the fight against the dwell time amendment would make a whole lot more sense if McCain in fact doesn’t believe that repeated, extended deployments have anything to do with combat stress — it’s just a matter of training, competence or faith in the mission.

Anonymous

• i obviously do not have the entire article in front of me, only what you've posted. but going by that, i don't see where she says anything of the kind. if you're trying to say he's incompetent, or that she said those that do suffer from ptsd are incompetent because of lack of training, i think you're going in the wrong direction. (again, from what you've quoted). what i see from her quotes is her reasoning that he may be better able to handle ptsd, because of training before combat. otherwise, i'm not following your line of 'reasoning'.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:22 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• it sure sounds like that's what she meant by her statements.
    however i think she was just trying to make sure no one thought that her husband had problems like that.

my father was a navy seal and served in vietnam and when i was very young i remember him still having nightmares.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 7:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Thats why McCain doesnt have the support of most veterans...or should I say one of the reasons.
    He also couldnt be bothered to show up for votes concerning vets...4 our of 10 times he showed and when he did, e voted NOT to update their benefits!
    They rated him a D
    Joe Biden B
    Barack Obama B
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• sweet-a-kins...lol, vets overwhelmingly support republicans...including john mccain. Just as active duty. Why don't you show me some evidence to support your statement that Vets are supporting BO?
    Anonymous

• Oh and evidence other than some website entitled "vets for obama". How about some real numbers?
    Anonymous

• I don't know where your getting your information from but I AM a military wife, ex-military myself and I know for a FACT driving around on base, McCain is the sign we see...I know for a FACT, my husband told me, he was WELL received in IRAQ...I know that 70% of military is voting Republican based on the FACTS and according to the LAST poll numbers...I also no, based on the LOVELY IGNORANT comments of "air raiding villages and killing innocent people" it really sits wrong with my friends who recently came back from a deployment....Or how about NOT funding the troops after saying Obama would..I could go on and on why my friends and family WILL NOT be voting for Obama...and we have MANY ANTI-OBAMA signs hanging in the office at my husbands work!

So where did you pull that out of??The MSNBC Keith what he name is poll??
    Masonyastesmom

Answer by Masonyastesmom at 7:48 PM on Oct. 19, 2008