How long until the Applejuice kicks in?

My baby has been having bowel troubles for the last week. I did something that we used to do in the Care Home (I was a nurses assistant there) and I stimulated her little behind with her thermometer, and it worked wonderfully and she was normal for 2 or 3 days, but now she is back to being constipated. I recall from other answers to questions about constipation some people suggesting Apple Juice. So About...oh, maybe an hour or two ago I gave her 3 ounces of Apple Juice with 1 ounce of water. (was that diluted enough? She is 5 months old) My question is, how long until I notice a change with her? And how often should I give her Apple Juice? Thank you in advance for your help!

CarolynBarnett

Asked by CarolynBarnett at 7:26 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh, and there have been no changes in her diet, no change in formula or anything like that.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:27 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• DON'T DILUTE IT, THE SUGAR IN IT IS WHAT MAKES IT WORK. PRUNE JUICE OR PEAR JUICE IS BETTER THAN APPLE, BUT APPLE WILL DO ( OR SO I'VE BEEN TOLD). i'VE NEVER SEEN IMMEDIATE RESULTS (YOU KNOW WITHIN A FEW HOURS).
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 7:31 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Instead of the apple juice (which is a great idea and usually helps really good) you should try fresh apples.

Take 1-2 fresh apples, peel them and then make em really soft / mushy with the blender. feed it to her with the spoon.

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:31 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• pear juice would be better than apple
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 7:54 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Actually, at months she can have prunes. The stage 1 prunes works wonders. That with the apple juice, she will be going in no time.

Also, try giving her the Yo Baby Yogurt. My son's doctor said it does wonders for their digestion. It helps grow the good bacteria that they need to aid digestions, which in turns moves it along faster. The longer the bowel takes to move through the intestines, the more water will be absorbed from it, which causes chronic constipation.

And.......for that fast fix if she's really having troubles and in pain........baby tylenol. The sugar in it will cause a fast bowel movement while easing some of the pain causes from cramps and/or passing the bm.

Good luck! I've been there with my little boy, it makes you feel horrible.....but you'll both get through it.
    MissLisaMarie

Answer by MissLisaMarie at 8:21 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I would try either prune juice or pear juice before apple.
    alysmommy0909

Answer by alysmommy0909 at 9:18 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• had the same prob with my DD at 3 months. BF babies often go a week or longer without pooping because the BM is totally digested so there's less there to poop out. as long as her belly isn't getting hard, she's not straining to poop and can't, or she's being more fussy than normal it's nothing to worry about. if the poop is hard and dry, then she's constipated and you can try the other methods. i was told that if i was really worried about it to give her pear, apple or prune juice (make sure to wait the 3-4 days before introducing another new thing into her diet), 1/2 of a baby glycerin suppository or take her temp rectally. my DD had been going every other day, and now it's 4-5 days before she goes, but now when she goes, she GOES.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 12:52 AM on Oct. 20, 2008