For smokers, well, nonsmokers too...

If you smoke and some one moves in with you that does not smoke, would you ever expect them to clean up after your habbit? (empty ashtrays or clean them or clean up ashes or butts from anywhere).
If you don't smoke and you've ever had to move in with some one that does, have you been expected to clean up after their habbit?
If you smoke and have children (older ones that can clean and do dishes) do you ever make them pick up or clean up after your habbit?

I'm just curious to see what every one says, Personally as a child I was not expected to even think about touching anything to do w/smoking. (I have such a strong hate for it and it's nasty to me and my family knows it) Curious cause this morning when I was doing dishes. I left the water to get dishes (from bedroom) and when I came back there were ashtrays by the sink. I did my dishes and left ashtrays and the water. Both are still there. Figured they wanted to do them.

Sarasmoonflower

Asked by Sarasmoonflower at 1:24 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Im a non-smoker and would NEVER move in with a smoker.

If for what ever reason a non-smoker moves in with a smoker (would never understand that) it isnt their responsiblity to clean up after it.... unless it was considered part of the housekeeping and the agreement was that the non-smoker was exclusively doing the housework.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 1:26 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Well I wouldn't live with someone who smokes in the first place...however if i were in that situation I would NOT clean up after you...its your habbit, your mess, you pick it up.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 1:27 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I lived with a smoker (I grew up w/ them too (my dad and brothers) and I think I did go ahead and clean out the trays just cause I couldn't stand to see them so nasty. But now I sure as hell wouldn't volunatarily live with a smoker. Nasty and I like to breathe.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:29 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• We moved in with inlaws temp. It was never agreed that I would do ALL the housework. I don't feel that it's my responsiblity to clean after that either. I don't mind doing all the dishes (we dirty dishes too, so why not get them while I am doing ours? or we ate the food that was cooked in the pots, I need to clean up after my family. I vacume and sweep because I know that we too track in dirt, Maybe I just have twisted logic, but I can't wait to move out. Hopefully just a couple more months!
    Sarasmoonflower

Comment by Sarasmoonflower (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I had a roommate that smoked. She was not allowed to smoke in the appt. But I know when I was gone she did. I could smell it. But at least I did not and would not have cleaned up that for her.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:30 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• i wouldn't let them smoke inside the house. i couldn't the smoke affects me to where i can't breath. everyone smokes out side. whoever does dishes did the ashtrays. but i usally made her do them.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 1:33 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Well, my roommates both smoked when they first moved in, she has stopped because she is pregnant, and her husband still smokes, they are not allowed to smoke in the house, they are only allowed to smoke outside, there is a small little bucket (like the citronella candles) full of sand, they put their cigs out in it and then they bring the butts in and toss them in the trash....I would never clean up after them, they are adults after all and me and DH do not smoke.
    KnitWit0686

Answer by KnitWit0686 at 1:33 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I am not a smoker, and I would never move in with a smoker (smoke really bothers me), or clean up after them. They are the ones smoking and filling up the ash trays they are responsible for emptying and them. It would be the same as you eating a meal and then leaving the dirty plate at the table-- you used it, you take care of it (scrape it off, rinse it and put it in the dirty dishes pile to wash).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:48 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I am not a smoker and would only move in with a smoker if he/she didn't smoke in the house. Outside only. As far as cleaning up after them, I would never clean up after them.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:13 PM on Sep. 21, 2010