Anyone else just go-with-the-flow regarding naps?

I just watch my baby's cues. Usually, around 3 hours after she wakes, she goes down for a morning nap. Around 3 to 4 hours after waking from a morning nap, she usually seems tired, rubbing her eyes, yawning, pulling her ears, etc, so I put her down again. She does about 90 minutes for each nap and then goes to bed around 6:30/7. She is 13 months old and still wakes up during the night wanting to nurse, or wanting comfort, and is an early riser. So, if she wakes up at around 5:30, her morning nap is usually around 8:30. I read a lot about mothers who push their 1-year-olds to skip the morning nap (or they wake them up after an hour), so that they take a longer afternoon nap. Although I would love to have a set "schedule", I don't. Am I wrong for putting her down for 2 naps at this age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nope you either sleep or you pay the price.
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 1:54 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• no, but there comes a time when the kid will not need 2 naps and after their afternoon nap they will not want to go to bed until it's really late. that's when i cut the afternoon nap and move the morning nap a couple of hours later. if she is still going to bed at a decent hour then 2 naps are fine. my daughter is like that (12mo), but at that age my son was taking 2 naps and he wanted to stay up until 10 or 11 pm! that's when i knew it was time to cut the afternoon nap.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 1:58 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• No, we've always done scheduled naps. I did take into consideration about what time they would get tired (when there were two naps a day) but I set the time and kept it there. Now they just have 1 nap time and it is required. If you think that your schedule works for you and your family, keep going, if not, change it how you see fit. Give it some time to kick in before you make more changes though.
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 1:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• You are doing just fine. Some babies need the 2 naps longer than others. I take care of a one year old who just gave up his afternoon nap. He justs plays in the crib in the afternoon. His mom is asking me to keep him up longer in the morning now, if I can, so his one nap will be a little later. Follow your baby's cues. Best wishes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:07 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Whatever you do try, it usually takes 5 days for a child for it to become a routine for them.
    djevica

Answer by djevica at 2:10 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My son wakes up around 7:45am everyday. Take a nap at 11:00am and sleep for one or two hours. Then take another nap around 4pm or 5pm for like an hour. He go to sleep at 9pm. We have been doing this for ever. lol He is 18 months old.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 4:07 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My son just turned two and sometimes still takes two naps but if he does the first one is a 30 minuet and he gets about a 2 and a half hour nap after lunch. I don't have a set time for his schedule. I play it by ear. If he starts getting ready for his nap after breakfast then sometimes its reversed. My fiance and I follow his cues. Even when he still takes naps he still sticks to the in bed no later than 1030pm and wakes up in between 630 and 730 in the morning. We have noticed lately that if he tries two long naps he still ends up in bed no later than 1030pm. Normally bedtime for him is by 930pm. To each their own.
    ashes_leigh

Answer by ashes_leigh at 4:39 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• You are doing just fine. Some babies thrive on scheduled everything while others do better with basic guidelines. My first, was a schedule baby and had his nap at the same time every day like clockwork. My little one (20 months) however is totally different. He takes a nap when I know he needs one. He has his signs that he's ready, his body language just changes a little. He may go down at 11, or it may not be until 2 and he sleeps anywhere from 1 to 3 hrs. Other days he doesn't nap at all. My only "rule" about nap time is that I don't let him sleep past 3:30 or 4pm because if I do, he will fight bedtime.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 10:13 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I think you're doing fine. My DD needed 2 naps until she was about 9 mos. Ever since then she gets one nap in the afternoon usually around 2 hours or so....but she's very routine, everyday like clock work she's taking a nap by 1pm.
    Samie8183

Answer by Samie8183 at 12:07 AM on Sep. 25, 2010