what age would u let ur daughter be on birth control????

i know i wish my mom would have talked to me about it,,,, i became a teen mom,,, because of not knowing....
i think openess is the best, with our kids when it comes to the sex talk.....

Cynt1020

Asked by Cynt1020 at 2:00 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Once my daughter gets her period, she's going on birth control. For thing, it will help to regulate her period. For another, we want her to be safe about sex. We know that she may not wait until she's 18, like Mommy did, or have kids until she's 25, like Mommy, so we want to make sure that she's educated on the risks. We plan on being fully honest with her.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:46 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I don't really know the answer I also don't have girls, however my oldest son is 16 and I have given him condoms. I put them in his money jar. I just feel more comfortable event though he says he won't have sex in HS, he's waiting for college when he can find someone he could really connect with, I just know that things change and he may not share everything.

When I was 17I asked my mom to put me on Birth Control and she told me no, she said stop having sex and you can't see your bf anymore. A few months later I was pregnant, I think parents that simply live in the dark thinking that their children are always going follow what you say are fooling themselves. I know not all kids are like me, but I just feel better safe than sorry. My mom basically sucked, and should have had a conversation with me at that point about sex and relationships etc...but just basically said stop doing it.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:11 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I honestly have no idea. She is a sophomore in high school and we talk VERY openly about sex. Her goal is to graduate a virgin. THAT took me by surprise since I considered it a given and not a goal. But I hid my shock and complimented her on her choice. I am 100% sure she would approach me before going on birth control.... Im not sure of my reaction. It will depend 100% on her age, the boy, and how long they have been dating.

I pray that it is well after a year of knowing him and in her 2-3 yr of college at the soonest.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 2:27 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I don't know, honestly, I guess that I just hope that I have a good open line of communication with my children as they become teens and I do plan on telling my children about bc when we talk about sex. But it is important for them to know that absitnece is best, and if they do do it they should use condoms regardless if she is on anythin or not. There are still STDs out there.
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 2:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• As soon as she hit puberty if it's necessary (pills, condoms, whatever. I don't mind paying for that stuff). Though I'd hope by that point we've taught her better and she won't need it.

DH's parents were very open and straight forward about sex, birth control, etc. with him and his younger sisters. I don't really remember ever having "the talk" with my parents, but I don't feel I was missing out on any information. I do specifically remember the information from the sex ed classes in 5th and 6th grade. Oh, and NOTHING will make the point better than in health class in 11th grade. Oh man. The teacher I had was ... blunt. He showed videos of STDs and birth (even zipping and unzipping (play and rewind) the c-sec).
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 2:21 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I have had one kid. Yes, I was single and 19, but, honestly...I have never been on birth control. So, when she wants it and has a job to pay for it. Hopefully when she is pretty old. No need to screw her hormones up early.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My mom never let me but we didn't have an openness where I asked for it either. When I turned 18 I went to the doctor and asked myself. My parents found out by it showing up on insurance papers.
    MelSwim7

Answer by MelSwim7 at 2:06 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• This is a really tough question. Parents like to think their children will be smart & make the right choice but a lot of teenagers now of days are having sex earlier & earlier & get knocked up at younger ages or end up with STDs. Some parents won't provide for their children & end up grandparents when their children are as young as 13, 14, 15 years old. Some parents in that boat even end up having to RAISE their grandchildren because their own children aren't capable of it.

Then you have parents that are so scared of scenario 1, they try to force their children to use it, but they can easily make you think they are using it & don't & end with the same results.

I think it would be better to be the 3rd type of parents, the ones that want to believe in their children but know things can happen & offer it should their children want it. It's always better to safe then sorry and regret not offering SHOULD something happen.
    Meindrea

Answer by Meindrea at 5:46 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• (I ran out of characters, this an add-on to my last post)

Also, the parents that choose not to help their children and think just because they aren't providing means their children won't do it. That's not true. If they want to have sex, they are going to do it, behind your back, whether they can get the birth control/condoms or not. So thinking that is rather foolish and naive. I'm not saying all kids will be that way, some won't, but a lot will. Or they will try to find other ways to get a hold of it.
    Meindrea

Answer by Meindrea at 5:53 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Our Junior year of high school my best friend asked her mom to get her on BC and she said no. Within months my friend was pregnant. None of us would take that back, obviously, her son is an amazing part of all of our lives now. BUT being a teen mom for her wasn't easy and her mom had to take on a lot of the responsibility. Obviously, none of us want to put our daughters on BC before we feel they are ready but even with the proper communication and education most teens do what THEY feel they are ready for. We can just make sure they are protected and know all of the details before hand. I believe keeping open communication regardless of the topic is the most important part to keeping our children safe.
    Amandas_623

Answer by Amandas_623 at 5:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2010