allergy or what?

On 3 separate occasions my 2yr old has had a back full of what I thought were bug bites. Some A&D after an oatmeal bath & she was fine the next day. On 2 of the days she was outside in the woods, 2 days she had banana, 3 days she had peas, 2 days she has had cheese-its. All other aspects of her diet & environment have not changed. As for the crackers & veggies... she's had them before without issue. I've noticed the same type of bumps when she has a particularly rancid diaper on for longer than 2 minutes, but those go away by the next diaper change.
She is a clean child- bath every night, cleans up well after playing in the yard or eating, our house is fairly clean & I use unsented soaps & cleansers. These marks are no smaller than my nail, upraised and red around the edges like mosquito bites or the rash I get when I have to use hand sanitizer. So before I drag her to the doc for the allergy tests any ideas?

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 2:00 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Kids' Health

• She can still be allergic even if she's eaten foods and seemed fine before. Allergic reactions become more severe with each exposure, so you may think there is no allergy, when really there is. It may first show as runny poopoo or a rash, that eventually becomes more and more severe. So says my kids' allergy doctor, which we learned when we took my son in for his nut allergy.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:46 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Not sure what to say, other than I think you really should let your dr decied what to do.
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 2:03 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Sounds like an allergy to me or maybe a heat rash? If she hasn't reacted with the foods before it's probably not that. When we game my oldest mango for the first time she broke out in hives up and down her chest within in 10 minutes, so if it's food I'd imagine you'd know relatively quick. Could be some airborn allergen that she's just showing rashing too instead of a runny nose... If it clears up I would just keep watching and keep notes maybe you can figure out what's triggering it.
    ajbrownies

Answer by ajbrownies at 2:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Have you thought of bed bugs? They seem to be all over now. I hope that's not the case, but maybe you should google it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• mine had rash that would stay in elbow pits, knee pits when she had food with LKAE dyes
    but also!! a rash sometimes came and went extremely quickly
    does not sound like your gettng red 40, yellow 5, blue 1
    look again at labels, it is in almost everything
    this LAKE dye in food caused my daughter to have reaction and her doc knew nothin about it, when i figured it out, he said it was not proven
    i told him to put it in her chart because after 8 months of food journal THAT IS WHAT IT IS
    boy i was mad at her doc
    if not food dyes, then heat rash my next guess
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:08 PM on Sep. 21, 2010