Whole milk

When you make the switch from formula to cow's milk does it have to be whole milk? Can it be like 2% instead?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• IT'S RECOMMENDED WHOLE MILK CAUSE BABIES NEED THE FATS IN WHOLE MILK, AND DON'T START IT UNTIL AFTER THEIR 1ST BIRTHDAY.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 7:33 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Most pediatricians recommend whole mik until 2 years old then you can switch to what ever you prefer.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 7:35 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• The fat in whole milk from the 1st birthday until the 2nd is vital to the developement of the nerves in the brain. The only time 2% is appropriate in a child under 2 is if they are obese or have certain cardiovascular risk factors.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:48 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Thanks for asking, I had the same question... But should the cow's milk be room temp. or cold?
    candiH

Answer by candiH at 8:38 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Milk should never be allowed to warm above 45 degrees Farenheit. Bacteria risk double every 18'F. Milk should be stored at 35-40'F.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:02 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• whole. they said not to unless they are lactose. and mine are onn n nutra pals. pediasure
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 10:48 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• My son's Pediatrician told me that my son was underweight because I had been giving him 2%. He had also been in the hospital for two months. I have two older children and forgot about giving the baby whole milk. He started gaining weight slowly but surely. I don't remember how long they are supposed to have whole milk. You can either go to a bookstore and check out the baby books or you can consult your pediatrician.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:27 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• My DD could not drink whole milk at all and she is fine! She had plain normal 2%
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 2:15 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Well, they don't need milk at all. There are better sources of calcium and fat than dairy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• My pedi said that 2% is better because it has plenty of fat in it but not too much...She is fine and wonderful...we switched at about 12 months,...the pedi said that formula wasn't necessary anymore and that she shouldn't be getting all her calories from milk anyway, she could have it but in moderation just like anything else.
    but i would wait until you go ask the doc at baby's 12 month checkup....then ask what he thinks
    KEHMom

Answer by KEHMom at 12:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2008