what can i do, to stop my toddler from hitting?

psychobilly_mom

Asked by psychobilly_mom at 9:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I argree with Ambreelulu, but wanted to add that it may be difficult to get a toddler to stay in time-out. My daughter's pediatrician had suggested for us to hold her in our lap with her back up against our chest. During the time-out period ignore them and when it is over explain to the why they were in time-out and explain a more positive expression of themselves rather than hitting.
    drgnfly19

Answer by drgnfly19 at 10:54 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• sent them to time out... then a few minutes later (2-3) have them come over to you, look them in the eye and ask them if they know why they went to time out... tell them they went to time out because they hit and it's not nice. worked like a charm for my 3 yo
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 10:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• If he/she hits, immediately grab the hand they hit with, and tell him/her that what they was not nice. You must be stern, all while looking them in the eyes and holding that hand they hit with. This also applies for kicking. Last resort, time out as the others have said.
    HRSalaam723

Answer by HRSalaam723 at 1:05 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I tell me daughter in a worried voice that that is not nice, we don't hit and she'll usually hug after that and I say yes, that's nice.
    1lilgirl

Answer by 1lilgirl at 6:56 AM on Jul. 2, 2008