planning on breast feeding but which formula is best if i need to supplement?

melis1029

Asked by melis1029 at 7:56 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My doctor suggested simulac. But I don't think there is a best kind. Make sure it has iron though.
    Mrs.Tank00

Answer by Mrs.Tank00 at 8:14 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• NONE!!!  By having a 'fall back' you are already setting yourself up for failure.  Have confidence in yourself, your body and your baby because there is no need for formula.  You are going to do great!

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 8:15 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• i have to agree with previous poster on this one.
    having formula in the house just increases the chances that you'll use it.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 8:17 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I now that breast feeding is the best way to go. But for my baby I use formula (Good Start from nestle) and breast feed a little only and he is a supper happy boy.
    Jamie8788

Answer by Jamie8788 at 8:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• If you plan on breastfeeding don't plan on supplementing.....read this http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/supppit.asp
    and this http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/supplement.asp
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• It depends on the baby. Every baby is different. My daughter started on Similac, but it gave her a lot of painful gas, so we switched to Enfamil Lipil. After a while, she was having similar problems, so we tried Good Start. She ended up being on that until she turned one. I know others that haven't liked Good Start. So my advice is, don't go buy a lot of any one kind. If you end up feeding with formula, get samples or only buy a small amount at a time until you know how the baby will do on that particular brand. :) Good luck with your new little one!
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 8:35 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I agree if you want to breastfeed there's no need to suppliment. You'll make milk just for your babies needs and no formula can do that. But if you chose to use formula I can't help you with a kind, sorry.
    proudmamma9706

Answer by proudmamma9706 at 8:36 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Well if you breastfeed and produce enough milk you should not need to suppliment with formula. You can express your milk and store it- and that way daycare/babysitters or other people can give baby a bottle of your milk. My 3 babies were formula fed- I did not like similac, but did like Enfamil and Good Start formulas.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:11 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• My son was a preemie and he has been on Similac Neosure since the beginning -- I didn't produce enough milk in the beginning, and by the time my milk came in and I was producing enough, he didn't enjoy the taste of breastmilk and wouldn't drink it. :/ Anyway Neosure is really good for weight gain but my doc said that if he wasn't a preemie, she would've wanted him on Enfamil + Lipil. =]
    oh__you

Answer by oh__you at 9:26 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• What ever one your baby likes better lol.suppliment!! your baby wont die. silly moms
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 11:17 PM on Oct. 19, 2008