Does measuring big mean big baby?!?!

I had my 32 week Dr. appt today and the Dr said I'm measuring 2 weeks ahead. He said, "well you had an 8 lb baby last time, so she'll probably just be another big baby."
Is that true? Does measuring big mean big baby? I'm going to be attempting a VBAC so I don't want her TOO big!! I've just never heard this before.

mamie2shoes

Asked by mamie2shoes at 2:27 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Fundal height measurement seems to have more to do with position than size of baby. My second was measured 3-4 weeks small until she changed position, at which point she went to 2 weeks big.

And for the record, 8 lbs is not "too big". My second was a VBAC, 8 lbs 3 oz, and piece of cake. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:33 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Nope. It could mean you have more fluid. They can't really determine how big your baby is until it's born.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Not always. Everyone thought with both my girls I would have big baby's. Because I was showing ahead. 2 weeks with my 1st and 4 weeks with my second. I had 6lb babies. I carry extra fluid.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 2:29 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• not always. but if you had one big baby your next one is more likely to be big.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:29 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• They said I was measuring small, and when they did an ultrasound they found her to be about 9lbs, so no, don't believe them. All the ultrasounds I had were pretty accurate considering she came out at 9lbs 4oz. I don't know why they think 8lbs is big. That seems pretty average to me.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 2:36 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• No way! I measured big with my first 3 babies. In fact with one of them I measure 7 WEEKS ahead!!!!! They were sure I was having a monster child and did ultrasounds to check his size. He was supposed to be close to 10 pounds. LOL! He was 7 lbs. 9 oz. By my fourth child the doctor wasn't worried at all. She was used to it! :D It can mean a big baby, but you could also 'level' out and be measuring on schedule at your next visit.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I've always measured small and always had big babies, and I agree with the others who say 8 lbs is not a big baby. My 8 lb baby pushed out in 3 pushes and she looked so tiny my husband and I were both shocked when they told us she was 8 lbs, we were guessing 6 lbs and she was our 2nd baby, so we had some idea of what a newborn looked like. My 9 lb baby was a little harder to push out, but he was also 2 weeks late (I could have been induced earlier if I wanted) and his head was a lot bigger which is what makes the difference, but it's not like I couldn't do it. But anyway, my point is if measuring small doesn' t mean a small baby I don't think measuring big means a big baby either.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 3:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Not necessarily. I was huge (all belly) with both of mine. DS weighed 8lb 2oz. and DD was 7 lbs. even. Second was smaller then the first as well.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 2:31 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My friend had a 9lb2oz baby, then an 8lb, then 2 7lb babies...all hers got smaller.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:32 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• No, don't worry it could be due to many normal things.
    jshimmy

Answer by jshimmy at 4:17 PM on Sep. 21, 2010