midwife vs. reg. dr

i had a normal hospital birth with my son an we are recently started to talk about a second child but instead going with a midwife

what is you experience with them if you had both? which did you find fit more of your needs ? :)

akalei

Asked by akalei at 2:32 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had an OB/GYN with my first.. He was very "by the book" Didn't really let me make any calls.

I had a midwife with my second.. She was awesome when I was in labor. Let me make most of the calls, regarding pushing and such. Labor was a lot easier because of that.

I now have an OB/GYN with my third due to high risk reasons. Only 31 weeks pregnant.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:34 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I had an OB/GYN with both of my pregnancies. I personally feel more comfy with a Doctor due to my Mom almost losing her life while giving birth to my sister. She used a midwife for the first time and the midwife did not get all the placenta out which in turn made my Mom hemorrhage until a Doctor stepped in. She hemorrhaged for hours before help arrived. I am high risk anyways, so a midwife would not be an option. It's personal preference really.
    momofone221

Answer by momofone221 at 2:38 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I had midwife for my first and this one. With my second I had a Dr. I hated the limited time I had with her in the office.I felt like I was pushed off quite a bit. Hated how she was only there for the birth and delivered the placenta. With my midwifes(birth center and home birthing). they have all the time in t the world for me. I can call them when I need them and talk personally to them. They are there for the whole labor/birth and after wards for as long as I need. They know me much better and know what is going on with me.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 2:39 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• i had a midwife and she was wonderful. she stayed by my side almost the entire time, she let me control everything (when i pushed and what position i wanted to be in). midwives are supervised by an ob and the ob was a bitch. she kept trying to tell me what was wrong with my birth plan (none of which my midwife saw a problem with)...imo midwives are a much better choice when it comes to giving birth. and yes it was in a hospital
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 2:40 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I had a OB/GYN but my friend had a midwife and the few times I went with her to her appts. I wanted to kick the midwife. I shouldn't judge all midwives based on my few experiences but it seems to me that midwives like to give you "their opinion" where as actual Drs. give you more medical facts/statistics. If you don't agree with what a midwife "thinks" you'll have to hear all her reasons why you're wrong and she's right and blah blah where as the doctor just accepts your opinion and carries out your requests without giving you an earful. It's a bit more personal with a midwife but I think I'd just be overall more comfortable always having a OB/GYN.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:43 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I had a midwife with all 5 of mine - she's not into home births and we don't have birthing centers though - she's through the hospital and delivers in just the one hospital. She was absolutely awesome. I only saw a regular doc a few times during my pregnancies if she was going to be gone when I needed a checkup, or if something was going on and I needed to be seen immediately. I definitely preferred her for checkups!
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 2:46 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I had the same Midwife for all 4 of my babies and I would never go anywhere else!! She was great and when my sister became pregnant with her 1st she decided to see her too. I have never been to an ob/gyn but I know I never will!! The things I liked most were: I really liked to labor in the tub, without an iv, be able to eat if I want, not have coached pushing, switch positions, not have the baby leave the room after, and most importantly, she stayed by my side during labor and gave me support (not just show up for delivery) So, this was my experience(s) with a midwife, but I do think it depends on the person! Good luck :)
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 5:03 PM on Sep. 21, 2010