at what age is it okay to put your child on a sippy cup?

bby_sebastian

Asked by bby_sebastian at 2:37 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• We did at 10 months but it was a straw cup instead of sippy. She never like them.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:38 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• When they can sit up on their own & hold the cup. For my kids that was about 6 mo. old. It took them a while to master it though. They dont immediatly know what to do with it. They usually play around with it for a while before they actually understand there's something to drink inside it.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 2:39 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• my son was also around 6 months or a little less when we switched to the sippy. we started out with the nuk sippys, they are a little smaller and have handles on the side for easy holding.
    TannersMommy719

Answer by TannersMommy719 at 2:39 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• 6 months is probably the youngest they can do it. They need to sit up and be able to hold it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:40 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I started my Ds at 6 months old. He would throw it around and try to eat it lol. I would hold it up to his mouth and eventually he got the hang of it. He was still on bottles, but I wanted to get him used to the cup that way he was not shocked when the bottle went bye-bye.
    momofone221

Answer by momofone221 at 2:41 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• We introduced them to sippys about 6-7 months. They were all fulltime on sippys by 12 months.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:41 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I really don't know what age I started, I guess about 10 months to a year. They we able to sit up and hold it themselves. Of course my daughter was soon than my son.
    mommy2each

Answer by mommy2each at 2:43 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I don't remember how old she was but I remember starting around 6-8 months. Once she was able to sit up and hold it, I started getting them for her.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:44 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• IMO the earlier you intro them the better. I was told by many people 5-7 months, and that's what I did. My 3rd DD weaned herself from the bottle around 9 months - took her formula out of a sippy til she was a year. I never had a true problem getting them off the bottle since we intro'ed the sippy early - I was glad we did it!
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 2:44 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• ASAP. No use in waiting., even if he isn't very good with them early on, he will get that way.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:44 PM on Sep. 21, 2010