hi. so my son is 2. he is my only one. now i am just starting to get worried he is maybe missing out on social skills and things like?

i have never met any only who was an only child or raising an only child or has raised an only child. so am i being selfish wanting just one. so can someone let me know how it was for you having or being an only child??

TannersMommy719

Asked by TannersMommy719 at 2:37 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• I am an only and my son who is 14 is an only. He is fine with it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:40 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I have and want just my son. He is almost 3 - they learn social skills just as well, if not better statistically than children with siblings.. or show the studies show -I looked in to this around your sons age because I was worried about the same thing. We bring him to community centers where other kids are, he is also in a daycare which helps with that but when he's with us we go to the park , we we can sign up for fun classes I am excited for once he is 3. he will learn then. Also puppet shows or book readings at libraries.. your baby will be socially fine being an only mommy :)
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:40 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• There's nothing wrong with only wanting one child. If you're worried about your son having social skills, let him go to day care a couple times a week. You can start by sending him on Tuesdays and Thursdays or Mondays and Fridays. When you're feeling better about it and he lets you know how much fun he's having, you can increase it to three days a week, like Monday, Wednesday, and Friday or Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. Eventually working your way up to a full week. The full week child care will come in handy if you want to start working at all. You won't have to worry about finding daycare if you already have it; know what I mean? I hope this helps.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:41 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I only have one right now (I'm wanting more..praying on that one!), but there's nothing wrong with just wanting one kid. Take him to play groups, play grounds, sign up for recreation activities. etc
    Samuel is around kids a lot through the week.
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 2:47 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• First off, do what is right for you. There are also Women who want more than one but can't so it is what it is. I have a Son and he's 3 and I used to feel bad becasue he had no one his age to play with and interact. I have no family members with kids either or neighbors for that matter. So I started to go to my local Library when my son was 18 months and I enrolled us in everything since. They have Infant/Toddler play time, kids crafts, music days, theme days like Princess' & Pirates, Halloween Parties, Puppet shows etc. All for free. He LOVED it! Now he just started pre-school so he can make new friends now. Try your local library. They say that only children are smarter too! LOL! I don't know if it's true but who knows!!!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:48 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My son is an only and will be always (we got snipped) and honestly I think its great for them. They get all your resources, all your attention, and frankly they deserve it! Also Ive done research about how socialization is affected for only children and it all shows the same thing, they they turn out just fine.
    wingmom

Answer by wingmom at 2:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My son is 4 years old and only child. He will always be an only child. I put him in private preschool 2 days/week from 9-11.30 at 2.5 years old for socialization. He also plays soccer, playdates with preschool kids, and church. There are ways to socialize your child.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I'm not an only and I have 3 kids myself but you have to do what you feel is best for you and your child. Just make sure that he gets plenty of social time with other kids, such as playgroups. Without much family, you need to have lots of friends around for both of you.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 9:41 PM on Sep. 21, 2010