Entertain the kids or Let em whine?

Just read an article about why toddlers whine. The expert said that the kid is bored 80% of the time when they're whinning. His advice was to find something to get your childs attention and keep them entertained. What I wanna know is: should this always be the case or should we pick and choose when entertainment is more important than cooking/peeing/cleaning/etc?
I personally pick and choose when enough is enough and the boys have to self soothe/entertain. I don't want my sons to be depend on me to keep them happy 100% of the time. They know when Mommas had enough and 90% of the time will go play (while crying loudly but still). As long as they have options of fun things to do and are safe, let em whine! What do yall think??

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 2:42 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't let mine whine, nor, do I provide all entertainment. I tell mine to stop whining and find something to do or I will find him something myself and he won't like it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:45 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Completely agree with you. They're fully capable of going to find something to catch their attention without being demanding of you 24/7.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:46 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Kids who are constantly entertained don't develop good imaginations and creative play skills. They should have times that they entertain themselves to develop these skills and be resourceful and independent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I think pick and choose, because you can't always devote every second to keeping them entertained. My son is in a big whining stage right now. He whines in the morning, so I imagine it's because he's just tired (he goes to bed early enough to get plenty of sleep however). But I know he's probably bored the rest of the day after I bring him home from Head Start (I pick him up at 11:15) and leave him with DH. I'll be glad when we can get him back into daycare. At least it's an alternative to staying home all the time.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:46 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I don't know what to say about that because i have a whiner type of son - he is far from bored - he has many things and never was a child to play independantly, no matter how hard we tried to get it to be that way - if you get him interested his time frame to stay interested is about 19 seconds.. he is an almost 3 year old active boy -he may be border line adhd because he seems even less focused than other kids his age but either way - being he was colic for the first 6 months and cried all day literally til he was 18 months old, right now I am making it my choice not to listen to that whining when I can avoid it - more because I am FED UP with it - not because I haven't tried getting him involved or entertained even with something else - there are times he just doesn't get my attention because i have to get things done and he knows quickly whining won't help at the moment.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:52 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• From day 1 i promoted independence. Because my DS was adopted there was a great chance he would be an only child. There was nO way I was having a bored uncreative child on my hands. I did research on infant indep. and it seemed to have worked well. My DS is 2 1/2 and there r certainly times when he whines or is bored but like a Tantrum I walk away and tell him when he is ready to use his big boy words I am happy to listen. My DS was speaking full sentences and having full conversations @ 2. Which made all this a little easier..
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 2:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I discipline whining. I don't reward it by finding them something to do! However, my 2 play together well, and we have a routine that has us switching activities before there's much opportunity to be bored.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 3:10 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My Willow is the same wway when she dosent get her way she comes running calling mommie and follows me around all the time
    mommie00420

Answer by mommie00420 at 4:30 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My son is only two but is very intelligent for his age. While I make lunch or do laundry etc, I throw a bunch of toys into the middle of the living room floor turn on blues clues and tell him that mommy is cleaning and its dangerous to come into the kitchen. I ask him to play with the toys or watch blues clues and as soon as I get done we have mommy and will time. If he is curious about what mommy is doing he knows where he can come to into the kitchen and he will ask me to come here. I have been blessed with a child that is pretty independent. He gets impatient sometimes and I have to go see whats wrong or let him sit in that spot and watch. After about 5 minuets he goes and plays on his own.
    ashes_leigh

Answer by ashes_leigh at 6:08 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• As a former teacher and grandmother of nine I offer the following suggestion: Frequently it helps for children to be read fun-stories that illustrate the unpleasantness of bad behavior and ways to correct it. Sometimes children don’t understand how annoying the sound of whining can be. My latest children's book, "Peter and the Whimper-Whineys" by Sherrill S. Cannon is a story of a little rabbit who does nothing but whine. This rhyming book should be read with alternating normal voice and whining voice, according to the character speaking. Children learn that Whimper-Whineyland is not a fun place to be, not just for all the whining and crying that goes on but for all the other unpleasant character traits exemplified!!! The book can be found on amazon.com where there is the read-inside-the-book feature, as well as on bn.com. I hope that this might help your child as well as it has helped my children and grandchildren!
    Grandmother9

Answer by Grandmother9 at 4:53 PM on Sep. 24, 2010