Clean house vs kid friendly house

What do you consider clean and kid friendly? Recently a lot of my friends have been inviting us over and I'm noticing that they dont allow toys out of the kids rooms or let their kids play with more than one toy at a time. My living room looks like a toy store barfed in it lol But the floor is vacuumed daily and shampooed weekly. You can walk safely and sit down without landing on a car...The boys put away their toys when we go out or head to bed. Nobody ever says anything to me but I'm wondering if toys on the floor makes your house dirty or just kid messy? What do you perfer? I have kids and my house shows it :)

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 2:52 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I have a kid-friendly house and a clean house. I don't mind toys all over the place, but they won't stay there in the most common areas of the house that people see.
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 2:54 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I'm in the middlim in the middle. my kids are welcome to dump it all - but they have to clean it up before we switch rooms or leave the house. Clean is more important than uncluttered. I vacuum everyday or my carpet looks gross, but I have a roomba, so its not hard.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 2:57 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My apartment is clean but it also have toys all over, mostly from my son who is 1 yr old. I could care less about the toys everywhere, he is a kid and need to play. I put them back at the end of the day when he goes to sleep so I don't have to step on a toy.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 2:57 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• you shampoo your floors weekly? how on earth do they have time to dry before all the toys/kids come back onto it again???? (or do you mean 'mop'?)

luckily, my ds has a separate room for his toys/books/etc..that room is 'anything goes' (minus food/drinks), and gets cleaned/reorganized once or twice a week, by him. but no toys/etc are anywhere else, except for a few that make it into his bathtub.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I like my house clean, but I also like to see that there are kids there..if that makes any sense! lol..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My child is allowed to play with his toys where ever he wants but he has to clean them up when he's done. I don't leave my personal things spread out all over the house and i don't expect him to either.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Yeah I smapoo weekly. Due to spilled cups, mud tracked in (we live on the river) etc. our carpet is light tan and EVERYTHING shows. So yeah...Sounds like a lot of work but its not. I do the high traffic areas.
    MommaWoods

Comment by MommaWoods (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Toys do not make a house dirty. Let the kids enjoy themselves, before you know it they'll be on their way to college and you can have your house anyway you want it. (you may find out that you miss the toy store barf)
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 4:03 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My son I have had to limit how many toys that he brought into the living room because our living room is small. He knows that when he gets more than three toys out at the same time that if he wants another one, one goes back to the toy box or his room. We have a toybox that gets brought out every morning when he wakes up and gets taken to his room after dinner.
    ashes_leigh

Answer by ashes_leigh at 8:13 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My house is very small, they living room is the play area. So there are times, like right now that it looks like a toy store barfed in it. and it will stay that way until tomorrow or so. I don't care.. my house is clean, just cluttered. If I feel like picking them up, I will and if I had another hour in the day I would make them pick them up before bed.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 9:19 PM on Sep. 21, 2010