Can I give my 10 month old the Graduate foods for toddlers?

my MIL told me i show hold off on the corn because of the starch...??? why? is starch bad for them? I know its a stupid question but i'm a first time mom and i have no idea.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The Graduate foods...those are the chunkier ones right? I don't know about starch... but can he or she handle the chunkier foods yet? If so, go for it. If not, then wait a little bit.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:54 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• You can look up on Gerbers website for their breakdown. Each product will tell you at which stage you can start your child on a certain food.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• As long as your child is eating food at that consistancy then the gerber graduates are fine...Never heard of the corn thing though...Why shouldnt a baby have it, does she say???

Good Luck!
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 2:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• You could give them to her, but they are full of sodium. My 9 month old eats everything we eat (smashed, pureed, or cut in tiny pieces). I dont know why you can't do corn - the baby foods even have corn in the mixed vegatables. It might be harder for her to chew.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Like Micheldo said.. Those things are loaded in a HUGE amount of sodium.. which is salt. A large intake of sodium is not healthy for anyone, especially babies. So I would be careful when buying those.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:00 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Waste of money and over processed, just give good table food -- fruits, veggies, stews, soup, etc. Babies like flavor just as much as we do so don't be afraid of seasoning...just watch the salt. We never did jars, purees, or '"stage food " we went right to table food. My baby has no teeth and eats an apple whole to the core, so teeth aren't needed (we did whole foods right from the start so she's had lots of practice)! Baby led solids (Particularly the Gil Rapely article)
    My baby eats corn on the cob. Of course, it doesn't get digested very well and baby craps corn (but we don't care) LOL It's not a big deal.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I wouldn't give the graduates to a child of any age - especially not a 10 month old. Give the kid real food, the same stuff you eat chopped up well or cooked extra soft - but don't give them that sodium & preservative laden crap.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Can you? yes. Will it harm them? no. Is it the healthiest thing? No. Would doing it here and there hurt? Nope.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 6:21 PM on Sep. 21, 2010