Has anyone use the program "Your Baby Can Read"? If so what would be a good age to buy for your child.

survivormama10

Asked by survivormama10 at 2:56 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• I personally don't see the benefit in that program.. All it does is teach memorization. Not the true meaning.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:58 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I was going to buy it until I talked to several teachers that said it wasn't really that great. All is does is makes them memorize... so if the word is "cloud" the kid has no clue that there can also be another word in those letters.. "loud".... So I didn't waste my money. They said just get good ole hooked on phonics.. so that is my plan now!
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 3:01 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• It's a scam and a waste of money. If babies were really meant to read they would all be doing it. And I'm pretty sure if you watch the commercial the babies are being prompted.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Never. Read to and talk to your kid and point out and label things. There is no advantage to memorizing early. And no advantage to reading early. If there was, I would be awesome, because I read at 2 or 3 and I had no video to help. I could read like an adult on my own.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Yes my son LOVES it. We got it when he was nine months old. Hes two now. Does he read? He barely talks so no I wouldnt say that, but he loves them and my husband and I saw how early he could do certain things that he learned on the videos, like when you say nose, touch his nose, etc which he learned from them. Personally I would recommend them but thats just my opinion.
    wingmom

Answer by wingmom at 3:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• We tried it a little and it increased our DD's vocabulary exponentially, but she wasn't reading. We moved onto the leapfrog DVD's and since Christmas she has learned all of her upper and lower case letters (preschool prep series letters for lowercase) and now we are starting hooked on phonics b/c she is trying to sound out words. Your Baby can read is a waste of money.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:03 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Let your child be a child till they start school. You read to them and do activities with them and you will get a much better results.
    Chinquita

Answer by Chinquita at 3:15 PM on Sep. 21, 2010