nephew

refuses to shower after gym class, he goes through elaborate scheme to make us think he is by washing his hair in the sink at school. others are making comments that he smells and he has other classes. we tried talking to him to find out if he is just to shy or what. he wants to go in military i told him they are in 1 room together to. i just do not know how to get through. shoot even at home we have to force him to get a shower. and then he has dirty soap coming out of his hair where he does not do a good job. any ideas on how to get him to take better care of himself. we have to force him to brush his teeth and comb his hair to. he is not depressed but just being lazy. thanks all

sherryb1273

Asked by sherryb1273 at 3:08 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• This is a phase, my youngest went through this too. He's 12 now and cleans up just as much as his older brother does, and even wears cologne and showers like twice a day. I still have a problem getting him to brush his teeth twice a day, because he just doesn't want too.
    Eventually he'll get tired of the comments, start being more interested in girls and start taking more care of himself.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 4:13 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Its a phase that a lot of teen boys (and some girls) go through. Because it's a phase, it will pass. If you want him to start having better hygiene let him go. Eventually the comments people make will start to bother him or he will start to like girls and you won't have any problems after that.
    russianitk

Answer by russianitk at 3:30 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I agree that this is a phase that will clear itself out.

Answer by older at 4:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My son is doing the exact same thing, but he told me that the showers in school are dirty once he finally get a turn, and he's afraid to catch athlete's foot. So he comes home after school, and hit the shower.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 9:00 PM on Sep. 21, 2010