How wrong is it...

...lemme give you a scenario. You live in a rural area. Your 2 year old falls asleep for a much-needed nap on the way to Walgreens in the next town, 1/2 hour away. It's not the hottest of days, but it's hot. You decide to keep going to Walgreens because you don't know when the next time is you'll be out that way, and you need a prescription, pull-ups, and other small necessities you can get in 1 stop at Walgreens. You get there and toddler is still sleeping, deeply. Do you wake toddler to go in the store for 5 min, which is a recipe for disaster, or do you decide to leave toddler in the car sleeping with the windows cracked, doors locked, and car on thanks to remote start, with A/C on? Not to mention the back seat windows are tinted?

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 3:11 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• here is no 'small necessity' worth leaving your child in the car. that's crazy, badBADbad parenting, and grounds for prosecution, i would imagine.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:18 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• How I recall days like this! I'm a young mom. I have NO family or friends. I do wake her up and take her in.. Just for good measure. And to avoid any well meaning parents. Its not easy being a mother all the time. But its doable. Later on those hard times will be funny stories you can tell!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 3:13 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• OMG.. I would absolutely NEVER leave my child in the car alone even for one second!! Kidnapping can happen in an instant
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:14 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Nope, sorry, there is no way I would leave my kid in a car for ANY reason at all.

If I had this situation, I possibly would either sit in the parking lot for a while and let him sleep, maybe rest my eyes too...or if my mother was close by...sometimes she is, I would call her to come sit with baby while I went in.

So many things can happen that you CAN NOT TAKE BACK! They can happen in a split second and change your life forever. Not worth that risk.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:15 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Never leave your child in the vehicle alone. Do you know how many children are kidnapped while the parent runs in for five minutes? Doors locked means nothing, because anyone who is determined enough can bypass that to get to the child. Ontop of that, do you know how many cars are stolen with the child in the vehicle? Take the child in the store with you.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:16 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• i'd take her in. it's dumb to leave a kid in the car.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:14 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I always wake my toddler up. Always. I have been tempted to let her sleep sometimes, but I just can't do it. I leave her in the car sometimes if I forget my wallet before we leave the house, but that's it. I'm being totally honest here, I have never left my child in the car in a public place. Too scary, not to mention someone could call CPS :(
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:15 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Carry that child in with you. Never leave them in the car unattended!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 3:19 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Wake the kid up. She/he can go back to sleep on the way home.

Answer by louise2 at 3:15 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Wake the child and take him into the store, always.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 3:15 PM on Sep. 21, 2010