Nintendo DS

My son is 6 years old and told me yesterday that he wants a nintendo ds for christmas! Do you think he is too young for it? Are there any learning games?

mrsmamaj

Asked by mrsmamaj at 3:15 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I just saw there is a jr. brain age game. I think there are cross word games, and a math game too, I think your ds would love the DS or the DSi has a camera and can go online, and the dsi XL has a bigger screen. My ds is 5 and has one, he loves it! DD uses it too, but alot of the girly games are boring. lol
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 5:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My 6 year old has one and only plays it about twice a week. I think it is fine as long as he is not always playing it. Also, it is great for long car rides.
    jshimmy

Answer by jshimmy at 3:17 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My 7 year old daughter wants one too. According to her "everyone" has one. I don't think there are learning games. Just eye-hand coordination and learning to work a small portable computer which is much needed in this day and age.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:16 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• both my kids ages 6 and 9 have the DSI (i think its better then the regular DS and its just a few bucks more)...it's good for play time i don't think they have any learning games...

rock n roll

iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 3:18 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• A N-DS is just for fun! And at age 6 - there are plenty of age appropriate games (Nintendo is really good at that) but they aren't for learning, just having fun. It is good for hand eye coordination.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:20 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My oldest 2 got one last Christmas from Grandpa & Grandma. At the time they were 6.5 & almsot 8. They don't get a whole lot out of it. It's nice once in a while but they're not clamoring to play it all the time. They didn't ask for it, I thought they would like it and mentioned it. I think if it had been up to them we wouln'dt have gotten one for a few years. I bought a soduko game and play it once in a while. I've never seen any learning games though.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 3:25 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Leap Frog has a system just a little bigger than the Nintendo DS and they have quite a few learning games. My son had his from 3-6 and then gradually shifted to Nintendo and PSP handheld systems.

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 3:37 PM on Sep. 21, 2010