Breaking News: Republicans block bill to lift military gay ban... Why?

In this day and age, why can't this country accept that we are made up of a wide variety of people... all with the SAME rights? I think the vote this November should reflect that we are tired of the same old good ole boys club. Are you tired of it too? I don't care if you are single, married, black, white, green, purple, gay, straight, rich, poor, or different in anyway. If you are a citizen of this country, you have a right to serve this country!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm with you, but to play devils advocate, they worry that having openly gay service members will make everyone less effective, since 90% of men are homophobes (and the rest are gay lol). I think it's stupid.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:18 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I am GLAD they blocked it. ALOT of us are getting tired of hearing the same ol same ol about gaydom being SHOVED down our throats. I don't care WHO tries to attack me about this, I can attack (verbally) back. There has got to be SOME places left in our world that we do not have to deal with this horrible issue. Sure, everyone has a right to serve our country, but they need to LEAVE their personal lifestyles out of it. DO you take your personal business to your place of work? Silly if you do.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 3:20 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• come homeohhh yeah you go girl...

iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 3:21 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• why is who someone loves a "horrible issue"?!
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:21 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Mary, no one is shoving anything, they just want to be who they are without having people like you condemn them for it. It's not a horrible issue and it's not like they're asking to have a gay pride parade or have public gay sex. I bet you talk about your husband at work, with friends, etc. That's bringing your personal life into your work life. That's all these people want.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:23 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Nowhere does it say that they will flaunt being gay. But you like your equal rights MaryWolfe, everyone else should have them too. If one of your children was gay, are you one of those mothers that would disown them and kick them out? Would you want them to have equal rights?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:24 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Unfortunately, there is always that group of men that are going to say that they are distracted by a gay man because they have to worry whether or not he wants them. Men are just dumb and cannot handle this topic maturely.
    jshimmy

Answer by jshimmy at 3:26 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• While they are blocking this bill, that also means the republicans are voting no on raises for our military personnel.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 3:27 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Maine Republican Sen. Susan Collins had been seen as the crucial 60th vote because she supports overturning the military ban. But Collins sided with her GOP colleagues in arguing that Republicans weren't given sufficient leeway to offer amendments to the wide-ranging policy bill.

Looks like this is why it failed to pass.  Just more of the 'my way or the highway' from DC.  So, Republicans can't offer amendments to this bill, but dems can put amnesty in a defense spending bill? 

That said, I believe some of Obama's hand picked military guys are against lifting the ban.  I don't personally care about DADT, but would rather defer that decision to those who serve. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I would much rather have all of our soldiers concern be over their personal safety and the safety of our country rather than about the gay man in the next bunk over.
    sonshinemomma

Answer by sonshinemomma at 3:32 PM on Sep. 21, 2010