Looking for ideas on a play room?

My 5 year old DD has a play room and I want to paint it to look like a play room. Her bedroom is black, pink & white. So I don't want those colors. Any suggestions? I would like to put maybe some decals on the walls too. Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I wouldn't go too babyish. My daughter is 7 and is very aware of that. No princess things or anything like it. She likes teen looking things.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:22 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I'm not sure what a playroom is supposed to look like...
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:23 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I have always wanted to use the chalk board paint to do a wall in my sons room... just think it is kinda a cool idea for him to be able to "write on the walls" or I have seen at home depot the white boards that you can have sized to fit a whole wall or the have doors and the backside is all white board!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 3:24 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I painted my twins' palyroom dove gray with white trim. I picked this because it worked well with everything so I could decorate different areas in the room to match the toys/activities in that area. They have a 50's style diner/kitchen in one corner with a big rock & roll record hanging by it. There is a pink and white vanity in one corner with a picture of little ballerinas by it, and I'm planning to put up some hooks there to hang dress up clothes. My son has a shelf with cars and a little garage, and I hung a stop sign next to that. They also have a multi colored tent in their playroom. They have an ABC poster on the closet door. the gray walls look great with everything.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Oh, I like the chalk board idea! You can make cute borders around it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I've noticed that the more colorful a room is painted, the more stimulation it creates. Remember the toys you add also add color. Pick something that is soothing like a light blue. You can add decals to the walls, removable hooks, shelves and containers. It needs to promote play, not necessarily look "good" to the adults. Ask her what she wants and needs. Then she will want to be in there. The play rooms you see in magazines aren't necessarily kid friendly when it comes to play. Adults just like the way they look.

Organize a closet so that she can rotate her toys and create a new space every few months. Put the pictures of the toys in the closet in a book so she can pick out what she wants without having to take everything out. Make the room arrangement movable so she can change her themes as time goes on. Empty space is important.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• How about painting the ceiling light blue and painting white clouds on it? I did that in my daughter's room.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:32 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Stripes of different colors.
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 6:46 PM on Sep. 21, 2010