Have you seen this info on gay marriage?

Interesting news release I got from procon.org today...some excerpts:

* Massachusetts, which became the first state to legalize gay marriage in 2004, had the lowest divorce rate in the country in 2008. Its divorce rate declined 21% between 2003 and 2008. Alaska, the first state to alter its constitution to prohibit gay marriage in 1998, saw a 17.2% increase in its divorce rate. The seven states with the highest divorce rates between 2003 and 2008 all had constitutional prohibitions to gay marriage.

* The Congressional Budget Office estimated on Dec. 17, 2009 that extending employment benefits to same-sex domestic partners of federal employees would cost the federal government $596 million in mandatory spending and $302 million in discretionary spending between 2010 and 2019.

More to come....

Asked by gdiamante at 3:29 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• * The Williams Institute at UCLA Law School estimated the positive economic impact of legalizing gay marriage in New Jersey to be $248 million over three years, creating 800 new jobs and bringing in an additional $19 million in government revenues.

More info at procon.org. I've been looking at the site, and it does seem to be very much research and information-oriented, and presents both sides of the argument. Interesting stuff.

Comment by gdiamante (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Wow. That's good to hear. In my opinion gay love is still love. :)
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 3:31 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Those are interesting statistics.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:32 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• It does give the lie to the idea of protecting marriage. But I'm also fascinated with just the site itself; it looks like heaven for an information addict.

Comment by gdiamante (original poster) at 3:36 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• i support gay marriage and this is great
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 3:44 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Interesting but, maybe I'm just dumb, I frankly don't see what legalizing gay marriage has to do with the divorce rate or job creation.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 3:51 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I knew about this, but it still does not speak to those who oppose it.

Answer by older at 3:56 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• "Interesting but, maybe I'm just dumb, I frankly don't see what legalizing gay marriage has to do with the divorce rate or job creation. "

You're not dumb!

One of the arguments against gay marriage is that it endangers heterosexual marriage. The stats don't seem to bear that out, though.

One of the arguments for gay marriage is that it can create business; off the top of my head I think of the wedding industry. I haven't read the whole article on the site to see where the analysts are seeing growth that I might not be thinking about.

Comment by gdiamante (original poster) at 3:58 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• You know what, Frankly, I don't care if the divorce rate were 100% - No one should be denied the right to marry the person or persons they CHOOSE, regardless of their gender or sexuality. It's really that simple. These stats are awesome, but to me they mean nothing. We shouldn't even be talking about Gay marriage vs Straight marriage... Marriage is marriage and no one should have a say in who you marry but you - and that includes the government!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:58 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Agree with SabrinaMBowen! It's a shame that with as advanced as the US is, we are still in the Dark Ages.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 4:03 PM on Sep. 21, 2010