Frustrated, What is going on?

Asthma or not? Why can't my child's dr make up his mind what's causing my child's cough? It's frustrating and it feels like he's not doing everything he can for her! He was supposed to be leaving in October but now he's not. Last time I was there he told me when he wanted to see her back, but escorted me out the door before I could make it, which isn't like him. If he's so unsure about what it is, why is he putting her on more meds? I'm just getting frustrated....

Sarasmoonflower

Asked by Sarasmoonflower at 3:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Get another pedi ASAP.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 4:03 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• change Dr's asthma is a BIG deal
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 4:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Go to another doctor. A chronic cough is most likely asthma.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• It is time to call the office and make an appointment to set down and talk with him. Out of four children I have two with asthma my youngest childs doctor was awesome... but my daughters doctor was through the military clinic so we kept getting three and four different diagnois... finally we made an appointment and went in and consulted with them explaining we need a definitive diagnois. It worked we at least knew what we should do and not do.
    kamore

Answer by kamore at 4:06 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• What gets me most is that I've complained of this cough (it's been on and off) since she was I think under 1 year. or right around there. It's always been really deep, kindof bark like, And mostly when she sleeps! The past couple of weeks it's been worse and happening durring the day. I've had the pharmasist on the phone (after calling the dr and still not entirely clear on what to do) and he heard her and said it sounded like asthma, I told him I am having a hard time to tell if it is an asthmatic cough or just a I'm sick and coughing. The dr heard her do two different coughs, which I told him I can't tell! He started second guessing and still put her on pulmacourt, Isn't there some way to figure it out????? Besides JUST medicating her and waiting to see if it works??
    Sarasmoonflower

Comment by Sarasmoonflower (original poster) at 4:10 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Some docs are very skittish about diagnosing a child with asthma unless there are very clear symptoms. My son had exactly the same symptoms but he was diagnosed with reactive airway disease. I guess an asthma diagnosis can make it difficult to get life insurance and health insurance later on. Thankfully my son's outgrown it.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 4:52 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Have them check him for reflux. My 4 year old had a chronic cough from the time he was about 6 months old. He was diagnosed with asthma. We took him to the allergist (no allergies) and after asking the right questions decided it was probably reflux.

After 2 days on meds for it, his cough was gone.

Chronic cough is one of the symptoms of reflux.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 9:30 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I agree with jms124, test for reflux. Until you can have her tested put her bed on a slant, if her cough goes away it is reflux. Keep track of what she is eating and when she coughs, you may see that she coughs more when eating certain foods. Does she complain of chest pains (heartburn)? I think there is also a test for asthma. Find a Dr that will send her to a specialist.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 11:10 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Yes, time to see another doc.
    Radarma

Answer by Radarma at 12:02 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• We went through a few frustrating months and a lot of visits to diagnose my son's coughs too. He was put on a lot of meds, and ultimately landed on Pulmicort, which works great for him. His cough was related to his allergies. They have asthma-like symptoms, but he does not have asthma, but takes asthma medicine because it also works on his allergies. His doctor is a nimrod and couldn't figure it out, so we saw someone else in the office who nailed it after 1 visit. He is now on year-round allergy meds, 1 in the morning, 1 at night, and 2 different meds by nebulizer. The cough was awful last year, but much less severe this year, but it's still here. The changing weather also gets it going. GL.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:42 PM on Sep. 25, 2010