what yarn for potholders?

what yarn (brand and fiber type) do you use for crocheting/knitting functioning potholders? I have acylic yarn and make them for decorative purposes only since I was told that fiber can burn easily. But I would like to get some cotton yarn, just not sure which brand is high quality for potholder use.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 4:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Any cotton will work
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Acrylic
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• musicmom I was told acrylic isnt the best yarn for functioning pot holders? How are yours holding up? Or are they just for decoration?
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 4:07 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Music- I've had acrylic melt on me before.. Wool works too, but much more expensive.

Peaches & Cream is an inexpensive cotton. You can buy it in bulk undyed and have fun coloring it yourself as well
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:09 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• obbydobbie, I went to Michaels and that was the only cotton yarn I saw! But it was offered in the multi-colors and red and yellow. I prefer solid colors and the selection was terrible. Hobby Lobby had a whole aile for cotton and wool yarn, but it was pretty pricey and no sales. I was told walmart sells cotton! I think the ones in my town only have acrylic but I'll double check.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 4:12 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Walmart does have it- Almost every walmart carries it. You'll find it with the Tatting thread and finer decorative threads/yarns, usually on the end of the isle, or across from the acrylic skines. They sell it in small quantities at some, but at some you'll find it spooled in 16 oz pkgs. You'll find variegated colors, but you'll also find unbleached cotton (off white), and bleached cotton (bright white). You can dye them with either rit or kool aid to make any color you would like- you can also use natural colorings like beet, onion skin, evergreen, polk berry, red clay, ash, all kinds of things- If you DO dye your own, make sure to "set" it by boiling it for a couple of minutes.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:27 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I have used acrylic for hotpads and it worked really great for a long time. Only trouble was when we switched to a gas stove and someone left the pot holder on top of the kettle and it melted a little on the edge.

I'd be totally okay with using it again but I also think that a double lawyer of Cotton would be ideal!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:52 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I have made lots of pot holders from cotton and they work very well. I also use them as washclothes to scrub or anything else that happens in the kitchen. They come in very handy and they are so easy to make, I just toss them when they won't wash clean.
    mellonhead

Answer by mellonhead at 12:40 PM on Sep. 22, 2010