He won't let me feed him!

My 14month old has recently hit this phase where, no matter what it is, he will not let us feed him off a fork/spoon. Even if it's something he loves, he will not take it(the ONLY thing he will eat off a spoon is yogurt)! This has been going on a few weeks, and this past week he has practically refused to eat. I will put all of his food on his tray and he will just sit there a little while before he attempts it. Once he realizes, "oh, I like this stuff"... he will then begin to eat. I've stopped putting snacks (goldfish, puffs, cheerios, etc) on the tray until he eats a significant amount of his meal, and I've even held off his sippy cup so he doesn't fill his belly with milk/juice. Anyone have any ideas?

1st_time_mom23

Asked by 1st_time_mom23 at 4:07 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give him the fork or spoon or make all his food in chunks on his tray. Mine at his own food off of a fork or spoon by one.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:09 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Sorry to tell you, but he's hitting the "I can do it myself" stage. Just make sure to give him food that can easily be picked up by the spoon/fork, or even finger foods. When he's hungry, he'll eat.
    mrs3stan

Answer by mrs3stan at 4:18 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• He's feeding himself... let him ! Problem solved !

My daughter was the same, never let us feed her at all.... nothing. She's 2 1/2 now, eats sushi, curries, tuna salads, all by herself. Last night we had lamb pasanda and naan breads, ate it all and didn't get messy.

Put some of those plastic play mats underneath, and let him feed himself, especially at breakfast / dinner whenever he's not so sleepy... Good luck !
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 5:11 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Give him his own spoon/fork and let him feed himself.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:15 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I agree with the other ladies- it's going to get messy at your house for a while but eating with a fork and spoon is a skill he has to learn and clearly he wants to. Sure there will be messes and spills and food in the hair but that's what happens. I saved the really messy stuff (like yogurt and spaghetti) for dinner only because then I could put my DD right into the bath. Things like noodles or turkey dogs were good for lunch or going out to eat because they're easy to pick up with a fork. And you can get kiddie forks that have dull prongs so they're a little safer. It's also definitely smart to keep back snacks and drinks so they don't fill up. I bet if you give him time to do it on his own he'll get the hang of it really quickly and amaze you with his new skills! GL!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:31 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Let him feed himself! Yes its messy but they need to learn to do it!
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 7:38 PM on Sep. 21, 2010