Are you ever suprised by the names of kids you meet?

I don't know how to phrase my question. Lately I've been surprised by the number of kids I've met with very old sounding names. Nothing wrong with them in anyway, I'm just surprised, they seem very different from the names I see here most of the time. Today I helped out in my son's kindergarten class (I say kindergarten but it's a one day a week homeschool kind of thing). In a class of maybe 15 kids there were Diane, Gregory, Arnold, Beau, Johann, Peter, and Jessica. I've also joined a play group recently and in that group there is Paul, Elizabeth, Jane, Lucy, and Mary. That's all I can think off the top of my head. The only kids related to one another are Jane, Lucy, and Mary. Maybe it's a homeschool subculture kind of thing, I was just surprised.

mybella81

Asked by mybella81 at 4:09 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Before anyone complains I realize that I spelled surprised wrong.
    mybella81

Comment by mybella81 (original poster) at 4:11 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• It seems like older names such as the ones you are listing are making a comeback.
    russianitk

Answer by russianitk at 4:12 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I like the more Traditional names and No it has nothing to do with the Homeschooling subculture. I am from NY and live in a very suburban area and most of the children around here have Traditional names like the ones you posted. I frankly am sick of all the bizarre trendy names. They become passe' very quick and you almost know the year that they were born because the Mom had to follow the current trend. Can you guess my Son's name? :)

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:14 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I have a Sylvia, a Lila, and a Vivian. I'm just tired of those overly-chirpy popular names. We wanted something strong, but feminine. we aren't homeschoolers. My hubby and I have very popular names and disliked having to use a last initial.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 4:19 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I don't know what is up with some parents these days and where they hear these names but I have come across some interesting ones. I guess I can't really talk I gave my little girl a by name! :)
    CharleesMom7

Answer by CharleesMom7 at 4:20 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• ilovemypaulie- um, could it be Paul? : )
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 4:20 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I have a Jonathan, Jordan and Ian - Jordan is my DD. I think that old fashioned names are making a comeback, as are names that are spelled traditionally. (For awhile, it seemed like everyone in my kids classes had traditional names but were spelled untraditionally; Liisa, Jakob, etc.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:23 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I see some older names coming back. Honestly is the Diane, Gregory, Arnold, and Beau all in one small class together that surprised me. None of them seem like older names that are coming back and I have never met in real life or seen online other kids with any of these names.
    mybella81

Comment by mybella81 (original poster) at 4:23 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Sometimes I am surprised, but I always think. How creative or how did the parent come up with that?
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 4:24 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My own kids names are Elijah, Isabella, and Jeremiah. So I'm all for old fashioned and Biblical names.
    mybella81

Comment by mybella81 (original poster) at 4:25 PM on Sep. 21, 2010