Who has rode with their teen as they are learning how to drive and over reacted to something they did or didn't do while driving?

I over reacted today on our way home. Someone pulled out into the lane next to us and from where I was sitting it looked like they were going to hit us. It didn't help that DS didn't seem to concerned. Didn't hit the horn. Didn't hit the brakes. Just watched. To say the least, after I was done getting a little upset I realized that I may have over reacted. Especially when he explained that he thought they had plenty of room!

marchar2002

Asked by marchar2002 at 4:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• When my daughter was learning to drive i freaked out all the time- One day she got So Mad at me she pulled into a parking lot not far from our house & got out and Walked Home! i thinkthat is one of the least favorite things that we must do as parents- Teach our kids to Drive! You will make it through this & your son will appericate all the time you spent on Pens & Needles helping him! Wishing you lots of luck:)
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 4:48 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• This is one of the things most of us go through in this learning process, it is nerve wrecking in every way but oh so necessary! hang in there mom, it does get better!

Answer by older at 4:34 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Who hasn't? My daughter is an excellent driver but I used to practically put my foot through the floor every time we got to a stop sign.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I have.We have very good friends that have a Driver's Ed in a Box franchise but because there is enough stress in a house with learning to drive teens we don't use it.I would way over react if I was the first person with my child behind the wheel.After the teen has conquered getting on and off the freeways with the pros husband and I go with them to practice but the house rule clearly states the first few times Mom is restricted to the THIRD seat of her suburban.This is for the well being for all.P.S. I ,mom,made the rule.The rule isn't a joke but sure who doesn't get flustered.What I notice is what cruddy,unsafe drivers most over 20 yr old are.No signals for turning or changing lanes,cutting in and out,running lights and stop signs.If everyone  around here stayed as diligent about the rules of driving as when learning at least Houston roads would be safer.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 2:33 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It's hard not to overreact. Teaching a kid to drive is a nerve wracking experience.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 11:28 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• my mom was teaching me to drive a manual 5 speed and I was like 13 / 14 I think and we were on a side rode and I couldn't find third then I freaked out which in turn made her start laughing at me and then I killed the car on the side of the road and we both were laughing so hard we peed a tad lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:30 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Mine isn't driving yet but my mom yelled at me while I was learning to drive and I ended up jumping a curb!! NEVER yell at a teen who is just learning to drive. My mom was overreacted and she almost caused an accident. By overreacting, you are just making the teen more nervous, which can cause accidents.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I haven't gotten to that point yet, but my soon to be 16 year old son will be driving spring of next year, so pray for me.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 8:58 PM on Sep. 21, 2010