Di you need to use a breast pump?

I'm not due with my second baby until January, but I have some questions that I didn't ask the first time around.

Do you HAVE to use a breast pump to establish more supply when the baby is asleep or not eating at the time?

Is it normal for babies to lose 10 percent of their weight at 3 days old when you have started BFing? This happened to my son when he was a few days old, and nurses all seemed so concerned that it was so awful. They said it would be best if we supplemented with formula to get his weight back up. This scared me so much and made feel so guilty that it's the main reason I went to formula after we left the hospital. :/

Miss-Baby-Baker

Asked by Miss-Baby-Baker at 4:34 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If your going back to work yeah you'll need a pump. If your a SAHM I don't see why you would unless you want your Dh to be able to feed the baby too. As for weight loss, yeah I think its normal for newborns to loose a little.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:36 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• No, I didn't need to pump, at least not until I went back to work FT after 5 weeks. However I also breastfed on demand - all day, all night, whenever baby was hungry they were nursed. It's perfectly normal for baby to lose a little bit of weight and NO you do not need to supplement with formula. I gave her a formula bottle the day she was born simply because she would not stop crying, she was so hungry, and I wanted some sleep! Normally they're sleepy the first couple of days, but both of my kids came out just starving. :)
    GL Momma!!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 4:37 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• No, your baby will regulate your supply if you feed them when they are hungry until they are full. You don't need a pump unless you will be away from your baby, or want to have a store of breast milk in case of emergencies.

If your baby was big, it's common for them to lose up to 10% or even more sometimes of their birth weight. My son was 9 pounds 14 ounces at birth and lost 12 ounces before he started gaining. If baby was very small then losing more than 10% can be scary, but up to 10% is normal and fine (unless baby is a premie or very ill). Nurses and doctors tend to overreact about that kind of thing. Also, if you had an epidural or IV fluids during labor, it can make baby retain water, making their first weight artificially high. When they pee out the extra water it LOOKS like they lost a ton of weight when really they didn't.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:39 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:42 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• No, you do not need to use a pump. I thought I did with my older two. Do to pumping incorrectly and stess that I was under I did not succeed with them. They were both on formula by the time they were 4 weeks old. With our 10 mnth old, I've pumped once and only because I was really engorged and couldnt' wait to nurse him for releif. But if I didn't have a pump handy, I would have woken him up to nurse for releif.

join the breastfeeding moms group on here. They are a great group of woman. Very supportive and LOTS of advice
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 4:47 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I use one for I want DH to feed my son at times too, AND there are days I am out all day, so bottles are a MUST if I am not home. :) :) I don't pump everyday though. I just pump when I know a time is coming up where DH will be home with the kids for a while.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:49 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• >>Do you HAVE to use a breast pump to establish more supply when the baby is asleep or not eating at the time?<<
    NO.

>>Is it normal for babies to lose 10 percent of their weight at 3 days old when you have started BFing? <<
    Babies can lose up to 10%, but its usually less. If you birth in a hospital and they give you iv fluids and drugs it can artificially inflate weight--not fair!. read this from dr jay gordon

visit: www.kellymom.com and http://www.drjacknewman.com/Breastfeeding-help.asp
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:51 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• you dont have to but i loved it because of the bond i had with my daughter... i loved it :)
    and as far as your baby loosing wight so did mine at first, so waht i did was i made sure every 2 hours i was breastfeeding, even if she was aleep i woke her up. i also felt guilty but the next time i went my baby gained her 3 pounds and she was perfect

hope this helped
    1stunna2010

Answer by 1stunna2010 at 4:54 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• no you dont HAVE TO! but i highly recommend it!!!!
    sledgesmom28

Answer by sledgesmom28 at 5:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Thanks for the responses. :) Ok, another question. Do you have to offer the other breast after he/she has finished eating. How long do you leave them on one breast to feed? This ALWAYS confuses me!
    Miss-Baby-Baker

Comment by Miss-Baby-Baker (original poster) at 5:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2010