Everbody think I should ask my ex for child support, but i want nothing to do with him. I don't want to see him anywhere not even in court. Am I making a bad decision?

mb143

Asked by mb143 at 4:37 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• No. If u dont want him in ur childs life dont go for support. If u go for support most courts will give him a choice to see the child.
    nikkik526

Answer by nikkik526 at 4:39 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Well, I think we need a little more info here. If not seeing the father is in the best interests of the child (he's abusive or neglectful) then you gotta do whatever you need to do to keep your kids safe and healthy.
    However, if you just hate the bastard because you guys had a nasty breakup but he's a good daddy, then I wouldn't do anything to prevent the kid(s) from seeing him, IMO.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 4:39 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Yes I have a ten year old and I recieve child support and I can't even begin to tell you how much my skin crawls when I see or even think about my sons father. but I went ot court and did what i had to do for my son and I hardly ever talk to my sons father. I get my support and his mother picks my son up and drops him off on weekends. I havnt talked to his father in like 5 years. You need to do it court only last a few min.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 4:40 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• If you do, then you are going to have to deal with him.
    I know you keep saying you do not want to see him and I am not bashing you because I am sure you have a history with this guy. And a reason for not wanting to see him - but what you need to think about is how it is going to affect your child...
    Just because you have problems - those problems are not between him and his child...
    I think every child should be able to know both parents and decide for themselves what they think about each..

I wish you the best of luck in your decision! Just make sure it is right for you and your child! GL =]
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 4:40 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• No. If you choose not to receive support, then that is your decision.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:41 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• No, you are making this decision based on what you think is best, never second guess yourself, you and only you know what is best for your child.

Answer by older at 4:42 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I can understand your feelings, but if you were married and are now getting a divorce it may not be up to you to decide whether you want it or not. When I divorced it was automatically set. He never paid it, and also never visited. After a while I file to have his parental rights terminated.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• You may be making this decision for you rather than your child. Your child has the right to support from both parents. If you do pursue support the court will most likely give him the option to see his child. If he is an irresponsible person and you can prove that he may not be able to see your child without supervision. In any case every child deserves to know who their father is whether you like that person or not.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:43 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Child support and visitation o not go hand and hand in the eyes of the court. Not paying child support oes not take away his rights to spend time with your child and paying does not give him more visitation. So look at what is best for your kid. Would more money mean her being able to o an activity or sport she wants to that you can not afford? Would it mean the diffrence between you working 2 jobs or only 1?
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 4:44 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• It's not about you. It's about your child and making him responsible. If you don't need the money then put it in an account for college or a car or whatever. But yes, make him pay.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2010