I had a mammogram and now the doctor wants to do an ultrasound and biopsy!!

What does this mean? I'm really scared. I felt a lump in my breast; it is tender and feels very hot. I literally felt it overnight. I'm only 37 but both grandmothers had breast cancer.

buddy1212

Asked by buddy1212 at 4:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Health

• Don't worry, they are being careful and determining what the lump is. It could be just a cyst - don't stress yourself out! The U/S and biopsy and pretty standard in the case of a lump.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:56 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• They are determining if the lump they found is anything to worry about. I just had a mammo and they found a lump and did an ultrasound to see if it was cancerous. It is not. They can tell by the shape of the cyst. I have to go back, well, now to have another mammogram and ultrasound. The doc doesn't want to biopsy if there is no need to do so. My grandma had breast cancer too, so I know the scary feeling. My 30 min mammo took 2 hours.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Me, too. But mine didn't hurt, or feel hot. I have 2 cysts. My mom's sister had breast cancer. I had to have a second mamo, and then they wanted me to have an ultrasound. They didn't 'think' they looked like cancer, so they said I could go ahead and have a biopsy, or wait 6 months and come back. I decided to wait. Till a few days later when my sister called. She's got breast cancer. It's in both breasts and she's having a double mastectomy. So, now I'm having the biopsy.
    When I went in for the mamo, they told me not to worry. I don't have anything to worry about since it was my maternal aunt with breast cancer. But, at the breast clinic, I saw a poster with percentage chances. I do have a percentage chance since my mom's sister had it. Now I'm angry. I don't like being lead to believe false things with my health.
    I won't tell you not to worry. Because you will. I am worrying with you. Bet on that.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 5:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Try not to worry. More often than not, breast lumps are cysts.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:08 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I had the same issue and I had multiple biopsies. The biopsies hurt less then a bee sting and they do it along with an ultrasound machine to locate the lump. I ended up having multiple cysts, some as large as a lemon. I then had to have each drained and it was no big deal. If you say it came on fast, it's probably a cyst but it is better to be on the safe side and get it checked. Because now I know I am very cystic, I can't drink Iced-T because within a few days, I get swollen cysts and breast pain. It's really wierd. Well good luck & you are doing the right thng. best wishes!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:15 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I have to go for my yearly mammo soon too. I had a cyst years ago that went away on its own. NO aspiration was needed. My sister had to have hers done as they found a few in hers before.

Good luck to you! I know its hard NOT to get worried, but I pray you will be OK.

**** I WISH YOU WELL TOO RAINE2001*****

♥♥HUGS♥♥
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 8:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• They do the ultrasound to see exactly where the lump is so when they go in they know where it is exactly, then come procedure time, they freeze your boobie and do a small incission and us a siringe type thing to remove the lump, then stich you up, then you go back in about 2 weeks, you can not remove the bandage. Then they do anothe ultrasound, then you wait for the results of your biopsy. And they tell you they got it all and then a little more just in case, but it was not cancer and everything will be alright.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:21 PM on Sep. 21, 2010