Scratched cornea what do they do?

5 year old DD was just hit in the eye with the corner of a book. I can see with my naked eye a scratch on the surface of her eye. It looks as if there is a hair across but it isn't moving, it certainly is from the book edge.

What if anything would urgest care do if I took her? Do they heal on their own?

mom2queenie2004

Asked by mom2queenie2004 at 4:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Kids' Health

• They do heal fast, but any time the eye is involved, it's always a good idea to get it checked out. The only way to really tell it's a scratch and there's no debris is if she has her eye stained and looked at under a black light. Usually they prescribe eye drops and put a patch over it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• They usually don't do anything but take her to an eye doctor anyway, they can tell if there is any damage to the cornea or other parts of the eye. NEVER mess around when it comes to eyes.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:57 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• They put in drops and make her wear a patch for a few days. That's what I had to do.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:01 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Sometimes they will patch it so dust doesn't get in it. But the eye heals quickly all by itself. Sometimes they will give you antibiotic drops or drops to sooth the soreness. Have an eye doctor or your family doctor check it out.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 5:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• She needs to be seen to be sure it is only a scratch. I little drop of a special dye and a slit lamp is how they tell. Treatment if only a scratch is generally an antibiotic ointment in the eyes and patching it for 24-72 hours depending on severity.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Eye Doctor ASAP. Call the ER they will tell you what to do. My sister had this very painful. You have to be careful of the vision.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 4:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My DH had a bad one, one time, all they did was look at it, give him pain meds and antibiotic eye drops
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 5:14 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• We went to the ER. They gave her drops. Since she is in preschool I think keeping the drops is a good idea to keep out infection. Her vision is still blurred but we will follow up with the family DR this week and see what to do then. It is a pretty bad scratch.
    mom2queenie2004

Comment by mom2queenie2004 (original poster) at 8:34 PM on Sep. 21, 2010