So, those at home yeast infection tests

are basically litmus paper to test the Ph. And if it's 4.5, and you have the other symptoms of an infection, you probably have one. So, if you just buy plain litmus paper, wouldn't that work as well? And be tons cheaper? I'm thinking so. What do you think?

Raine2001

Asked by Raine2001 at 4:56 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Health

• But they are more than that. They don't just tell you if you have a yeast infection, they also tell you if you have other things... And I'm not sure why you would have to test for a yeast infection anyways unless you thought it was something else...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:01 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• The litmus paper test Ph. If it's higher, it could be a bacterial infection. The vagasil test tests for yeast, bacterial or possible other infection. If the litmus paper is lower Ph, it would likely be yeast, higher bacterial. I suppose if you feel it's yeast, treat and it doesn't go away, it could be something else. I just think since the at home test seems to be nothing more then litmus paper on an applicator, with instructions, then just the litmus paper would work, too.
    Raine2001

Comment by Raine2001 (original poster) at 5:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Oh, bacterial infections feel like yeast infections. I didn't say that. Bacterial vaginosis they call it. Just as bad.
    Raine2001

Comment by Raine2001 (original poster) at 5:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I've had both and used the tests... My point was there is a chance it wouldn't be as accurate. AND, No, They are VERY different symptom wise - or at least for me they are... One hurts, one itches...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:08 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Also, those tests are really cheap... The dollar store is like a buck...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:09 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• IDK. I've had them at the same time! They feel the same to me. I didn't get any infections when hubby was deployed. He's home, I'm back to getting them. The more sex we have, the more I get. I hate it. Just hate them. And I hate going to the doc. But if it's a bact infection, the yeast infection med hurts. So I waste the money on it. It's a pain in arse, and very irritating. If I could just test at home, I'd be set!
    Raine2001

Comment by Raine2001 (original poster) at 5:12 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• They have those tests at the dollar store? I've only seen them at the drug store! And they are like $16 dollars for 2.
    Raine2001

Comment by Raine2001 (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Sep. 21, 2010