What's the difference between using the morning after pill and having an abotion? doesn't it both do the same thing?

This goes with my previous question about who is for or against abortion and why? The reason why I asked this question is because (this is just an opionion once again), If you are against abortion but you will use the morning after pill, isn't that the same? Doesn't the morning after pill do the same thing?

marie0430815

Asked by marie0430815 at 8:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• the morning after pill stops conception ( so your nto killing a baby, your preventing it from happening), an abortion kills something that is already conceived ( killing a baby).
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 8:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Oh I almose forgot, do you consider life at the time od conception, or when the heart beats? Because I didn't think it was such a thing of almost pregnant, either you are or your not.

please don't get offended by my question. its just a question.
    marie0430815

Answer by marie0430815 at 8:48 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Its a hot topic even in pro life sites. Basically the morning after pill prevents a (potentially) fertilized egg from attaching to the uterine wall and has to be taken within 72 hours of the time sexual contact occurred...it prevents implantation. If you argue that this is an abortion, then many forms of birth control are out too...any form that alters the lining of the uterus so implantation isn't possible would be doing the same thing, but more slowly and consistently than the morning after pill. Abortion dislodges a fetus/baby and can go thru the sixth month.

I am pro life and I wouldn't do either, but I am a little upset that the morning after pill isn't offered as a part of a rape kit because I definitely think it is the lesser of two evils.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:49 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• The reason I say this is because a babies heart doesn't beat until it is four weeks. (i just googled it to make sure i wasn't wrong). so what you all are saying is after being pregnant for 4 weeks then you are "pregnant" but before your not? so its okay to use the morning after pill or abortion?
    marie0430815

Answer by marie0430815 at 8:52 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I, personally believe that life begins at implantation simply because fertilized eggs fail to attach naturally sometimes, but I would never use a birth control that would prevent implantation of a fertilized egg. We have had a hard time conceiving and never really used any birth control, but after a miscarriage we used condoms until the doctor gave us the "green light" to try again.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:55 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• IT IS THE SAME IT ENDS THE BABIES LIFE !!! AN ABORTION THEY GO INSIDE AND CUT UP THE BABY ETC... AND THE PILL AFTER YOU TAKE IT IT WILL KILL THE PLACENTA SO THE BABY CAN'T GET ANY FOOD OR OXYGEN FROM YOU IT'S A SLOW DEATH FOR THE BABY MOST PEOPLE DON'T KNOW THAT THEY THINK IT'S JUST A PILL IT'S NOT YOU CAN GO TO ASK .COM AND LOOK IT UP OR GOOGLE ABORTION AND GO TO SITES ON THERE YOU CAN SEE PICTURES ANS GET MORE INFO !!
    Anonymous

• You can only use the morning after pill up to three days from the unprotected sex. It prevents the egg from implanting. If a fertilized egg has already been implanted, then the morning after pill doesn't do anything. In a simple version, the morning after pill is a stronger dosage of the regular birth control pill.

It is -not- the abortion pill. That's a whole different thing.

lizzeh

Answer by lizzeh at 8:58 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• From what I've read, sperm lives for like a week and when the egg drops....
    The morning after pill would unfertilize the egg wouldn't it? Myabe kill the sperm? Stop the conception before it happens.
    I am against b/c period for myself (not everyone) only because I don't want any drugs in me that aren't absolutely necessary (even over the counter). Once I read the possible side effects, I was out on b/c. when I was finished having children (health reasons) I got my tubes tied and if it happens anyway, I'll be happy and know that it may not have been planned by me but it was a divine plan.
    If I'd gotten pregnant thru rape,I think I'd have to atleast consider taking the morning after pill to try to prevent a pregnancy but I've not been in that situation.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 9:39 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Sigh, not the same thing. Morning after pill prevents a pregnancy (that may or may not have happened in the first place) from happening. Abortion terminates a pregnancy.
    Anonymous

• Okay, I'll answer both parts of your question.

The morning after pill prevents the egg from implanting. Yes, there is such a thing as almost pregnant. If the egg and sperm create an embryo but it doesn't implant or implants but then expires, you can be almost pregnant. It's also called a "chemical" pregnancy. It's not the same thing as abortion at all.
    littleangelkiss

Answer by littleangelkiss at 9:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2008