What can I use?

I am starting to get a cold. My nose is runny and congested. I have been getting sinus headaches and it is hard to breathe and sleep. I am still giving my son breastmilk and was told by the pharmacist that I can only take Tylenol to relieve any pain. I am not comfortable and was curious if anyone knows of anything that I might be able to do to help clear up some congestion. Thank you in advance.

Asked by TeaAndrews at 8:50 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Health

• tylenol and sudafed.

Answer by teri4lance at 9:23 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I'd call the OB in the morning or a different pharmacy if you're looking for a second opinion. Try sleeping with a cool-mist humidifier going tonight. It'll probably help with the congestion.

Answer by heather.huckaby at 9:01 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• i would call a lactation consultant. the one from my hospital gave me a list of things. you can take the red sudafed that is sold at the pharmacy counter. I have been told not to take tylenol, ibueprofen is the safest for bf. if you want non medicinal i would try a hot bath before bed to loosen the mucus and a humidifier. ppl use cool mist now but i prefer the warm ones.eucalyptus oil on the chest breaks it up sometimes... you can also try vicks. good luck!!! props for bf!!!!!!!!

• The best thing to clear up the sinus' is to use saline spray and even a nose potty. It is a device that looks like a tea pot and it is used to flush out the nose. Get plenty of rest whenever you can. Sudifed is great, but I would double check with the doctor first. Better to be safe than sorry. Hope ya feel better real soon.

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 9:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I got those shower soothers and dropped one on the floor of the shower. The vapors didn't quite reach up when I was standing, but sitting on the shower floor with hot water running (it was pointed so it didn't hit me) was great! I did that when my son was congested as well...used the soother and sat in a hot shower with him :)

I've also heard the sudafed (the kind that's on the shelf, not the kind you have to get from behind the counter) is okay.

Feel better soon!

Answer by PrincessZ20 at 9:32 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Sudafed was my best friend while Pregnant and breastfeeding

Answer by amydh at 9:43 PM on Oct. 19, 2008