What can I use?

I am starting to get a cold. My nose is runny and congested. I have been getting sinus headaches and it is hard to breathe and sleep. I am still giving my son breastmilk and was told by the pharmacist that I can only take Tylenol to relieve any pain. I am not comfortable and was curious if anyone knows of anything that I might be able to do to help clear up some congestion. Thank you in advance.

TeaAndrews

Asked by TeaAndrews at 8:50 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Health

• tylenol and sudafed.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 9:23 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I'd call the OB in the morning or a different pharmacy if you're looking for a second opinion. Try sleeping with a cool-mist humidifier going tonight. It'll probably help with the congestion.
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 9:01 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• i would call a lactation consultant. the one from my hospital gave me a list of things. you can take the red sudafed that is sold at the pharmacy counter. I have been told not to take tylenol, ibueprofen is the safest for bf. if you want non medicinal i would try a hot bath before bed to loosen the mucus and a humidifier. ppl use cool mist now but i prefer the warm ones.eucalyptus oil on the chest breaks it up sometimes... you can also try vicks. good luck!!! props for bf!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• The best thing to clear up the sinus' is to use saline spray and even a nose potty. It is a device that looks like a tea pot and it is used to flush out the nose. Get plenty of rest whenever you can. Sudifed is great, but I would double check with the doctor first. Better to be safe than sorry. Hope ya feel better real soon.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 9:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I got those shower soothers and dropped one on the floor of the shower. The vapors didn't quite reach up when I was standing, but sitting on the shower floor with hot water running (it was pointed so it didn't hit me) was great! I did that when my son was congested as well...used the soother and sat in a hot shower with him :)

I've also heard the sudafed (the kind that's on the shelf, not the kind you have to get from behind the counter) is okay.

Feel better soon!
    PrincessZ20

Answer by PrincessZ20 at 9:32 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Sudafed was my best friend while Pregnant and breastfeeding
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 9:43 PM on Oct. 19, 2008